Which is most likely to be the myth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is most likely to be the myth

Okay I built 2 computers on the same day, using all the exact same parts except

1) one cpu is an I5 3350P, the other is I3 2125

2) I have 16 gigs of 1600 mhz memory, other Has 8 Gigs, Mine has since been OCed to 1866, but it was faster before then, I do think it sped things up however.

EDIT: We do use different graphics cards but the other computer isn't using the Intel HD graphics either, and I'm not even comparing gaming, its night and day but I know the I5+better graphics card causes that.

Any board you read will tell you a few things usually.

1) for general computing an I3 is as fast as an I5

2) There is almost no difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge

3) More than 8 gigs of memory does nothing

4) memory above 1600 is no faster

Well the two computers are identical (same board, same psu, same model memory, same HD, same case). But everything I do on my computer is almost instantaneous, on the other one, its a nice upgrade from a Q6600, but is not close to as fast. Its slower opening IE, loading windows, changing tabs in IE... its noticably slower in everything.

This seems to be the perfect testbed. I guess I could pull 8 gigs out of my computer, but that still leaves 2 variables (i5 vs i3, and SB vs IB)

So which of the common statements everyone tells people on Tom's hardware/Newegg is a lie?
    Last edited by supahos; 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

1) Definitely not, i5 is much better performer than i3. i3 is the cheapest, non-performance, power saving CPU.

2) False, when comparing certain benchmarks it may seem not much different, but IvyBridge is an upgrade over Sandybridge.

3) False, it's not that it does nothing, most users just don't have a use for more than 8GB. But if you ask professionals, video editors, mathematicians, and such, they need as much RAM as possible. They completely depend and thrive on an abundance of fast RAM.

4) False, if the RAM has a higher frequency, it is faster. Again, it's whether the user can optimize the system to utilize the greater frequency. The speed is there, but it has to be taken advantage of to notice a difference. Look at the world record computing, do they use standard DDR3-1600? If DDR3-1600 and DDR3-3000 is the same, what's the point in having such high frequency RAM? Why are all the RAM companies selling high frequency RAM above DDR3-1600? There has to be a reason!

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I felt the same way on all of this that you said, but its funny how "experts" will tell you anything that pops in their heads. Reason I asked is a friend has asked me to build him a computer "really close" to mine but has a tightened down budget from what I spent was trying to figure out which corners to cut to get him close to my computer's speed, My best guess is to Stick with an I5, save a bit on the board, and only use 8 gigs of memory. I think that keeps him on (real close to) budget. He does just enough gaming that I think and I3 would cripple him.

As for why to sell high frequency ram, b/c us idiots will buy it!!!!

Na, I know its faster I've done enough "real world" tests on my machine to know everything is just a smidge quicker after the ram OC
      ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Working...
      X