CPU-Z Bringing the Heat & Mysteries of The Witcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU-Z Bringing the Heat & Mysteries of The Witcher

(Thought this was kind of fun/weird so i brought this over from the AMD mobo forum)

My system is an A10 5800k running on an MSI FM2-A75-E35 mobo with Ripjaws X F3-2133C10D-8GXM sticks specced at CL10-12-12-31 1.6V

The MSI motherboard is actually specced for two RAM sticks @2133 1.5V...but I've been running the G Skill spec for this kit at 1.6V and above recommended timings. It has actually been very stable with CoreTemp reporting idles from 0-20 degrees C...except for two cases:

- When I run CPU-Z (and ONLY CPU-Z straight from boot-up) the reported temps jump up to 50-60+ (as high as 80!) degrees C...and they don't go down even when I close the application. I haven't seen this "phenomenon" reported elsewhere on the 'net.

- When I run The Witcher 1 expansion quests (at Hi detail settings) the system actually goes to BSOD after about 20 minutes of walking around and chatting up NPCs in a large environment...seems to be a RAM-temperature related auto shut-down because the Ripjaw sticks were VERY hot to the touch following the BSOD.

Whats very strange about the Witcher case is that Witcher 2 (a much more graphically impressive and recent game) also with Hi-detail settings @1600x900 has NOT given me these BSOD problems. Even during heated action scenes where I'm getting my butt kicked by multiple enemies the system generally only runs between 25-45 degrees C!

I wonder if anyone has also encountered similar weird occurences?

With my limited knowledge, I would wager a guess being that the mobo and RAM do not operate well together at 1.6V (given the MSI board's lower spec) thus creating the high temperature BSOD shut-down scenarios (with toasty RAM!) when the system is under load. In addition, according to some parts of the internet, AMD's Trinity platform might not be terribly well suited to RAM frequencies above 1866...doesn't seem to deter a lot of folks tho.
    Still, why does the more advanced Witcher 2 seemingly run just fine and why would CPU-Z of all programs cause such severe temperature jumps??? Also why is the Witcher 2 so DAMN HARD!?

Mentioned in the other thread but I'm thinking to drop down to 1866 and lower voltage settings if it will allow my system to run more stable and cool, allowing me to beat the Witcher 1
    Last edited by BloodyParrot; 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM.

update: I switched back to older 1600 Team RAM to check the CPU-Z phenomenon... and sure enough, even with the slower lower-voltage RAM sticks, Coretemp reported a jump to 50 degrees C idle once opening CPU-Z.
    ...guess I'm the only one CPU-Z gets so hot for.

I feel special.

Comment

It's nice to be special, but would prefer lower temps Is this the latest CPU-Z 1.66.1 (recently released)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
      X