RAM help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM help

Hey guys. I want to upgrade my RAM on my PC build, currently using --G.SKILL Ripjaws DR3-1600 PC3-12800 (2x2MB).
    Here is my question I want to buy 2x4MB to add to my 4MB, but question is can I buy 2nd generation-- (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL -- designed for Intel P67 & Z68 or should I get first generation to go well with my build --G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL . Here is the think I am running i5-760 (first generation) and I want to know if RAM designed for 2nd generation will work as well with my first generation CPU. I would rather buy second generation because that CPU will get upgraded as well in future and when that happens at least I will have RAM already in place ready for 2nd generation CPU.
    Thank you guys in advance

The best bet would be to buy a single set with the total amount of DRAM you'll want, that way the sticks are tested to work together and guaranteed as a set. Mixing sets, even of the same exact model can be problematic, but if you want to try, yes, normally you can mix Ripjaws and Ripjaws X if of the same freq and timings, though to get them to work together normally takes a little extra in the DRAM and or MC voltage...and that's if the will play together...thus folks have had pretty good luck doing so, especially with the 1333/1600 freqs, but again, no guarantee

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
    X