Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86+ vs Memtest.exe

Hi,

Can someone explain what difference between Memtest86+ and memtest.exe (from hcidesign.com)

I have errors with memtest.exe but none with Memtest86+. I am suspecting ram but I always believed Memtest86+ was a sure test for ram.

Thanks

memtest86+ is ran outside of Windows, whereas memtest.exe is ran inside Windows.

The first is booted into, whereas the latter is executed within Windows like a program.

There is also a memtest86 (no +), and that is also bootable and most similar to memtest86+.

There is also a Win 7 memory diagnostics test that you can run by typing "mem" after opening/clicking the Go button in the bottom left hand side of your Windows bar.

Did you test each module individually? If multiple modules are installed, errors can not be properly detected due to dual and triple channel memory architecture.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks, I did not know this particular dual channel architecture.

So Memtest86+ will surely tell me if a memory stick is defective or not as long as I test only each module separately ?

Comment

Yes, there are rare cases that the memory can still cause a problem even if memtest86+ passes, but as far as detecting errors, memtest86+ will take care of that.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Also keep in mind MemTest86 is actually designed for Intel CPUs, so while normally it will test fine with AMD CPUs there can be problems that aren't detected

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
          X