freeing up memory for ram-intensive applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeing up memory for ram-intensive applications

assume that i am running a ram-intensive program (such as a high priority image with data-compression, or a photo editor) and i therefore need to have the maximum amount of ram available. to this end, a natural, direct solution is to stop the antivirus, antimalware and unessentials.

my question is: what is the maximum amount of memory that i can induce the antivirus, antimalware and unessentials to surrender so that the memory-intensive program can utilize as much memory as possible? if i disable them (or however to stop them), then will they immediately vacate ram?

i am using ddr2 on dell optiplex gx520 ; xp pro 32

You could get something like WinPatrol (very good) to disable the programs you don't want to start at start up and then boot and use your photo program then re-enable prior to the next boot, or if already booted, start TASK Manager and kill the running programs/processes through it prior to starting the photo program

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

will killing on taskmgr immediately purge the ram or will i need to reboot?

Comment

When you kill a process it should immediately free up the memory

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X