Optiplex 170L and F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optiplex 170L and F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS issues

I'm hoping someone has some insights on this as it has me a bit baffled. I'm upgrading a client's Optiplex 170L with F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS and I have done so with the same kit in the past with no problems until today. I went to upgrade 2 of their machines (they have 7 of these 170Ls) and if I put in both 1GB sticks, the machine locks with distorted video. Can't even make it through test 2 of 3 different versions of memtest (including latest). It even locks in BIOS splash a few times. I can run several passes with memtest with a single 1GB module in either of the 2 slots and either stick no problem, but combine the 2x1GB sticks and it slaps the fail whale....hard. Has anyone else seen this? I updated to the latest BIOS version A09 and still no change. Tried clearing CMOS and no change. I have upgraded 3 of their other 170Ls with the same kit in the past with no problems and I'm wondering if these two machines hate the CL 2.5? Crucial's advisor lists using CL3. I've not had an issue with this in the past and I am a bit confused as to what may have changed or caused this. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Thanks for any insight to save my sanity.

Could try them at CL3 and see if that makes a difference, also may want to try sticks from one of the other systems, and when doing so check the voltages on the good, working systems and see if those are different from the problem child.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

RE: Slowing the clock

I would try that in a heartbeat, except there is no way to do that in the Dell Optiplex 170L BIOS. Memory fields are limited and not changeable. OEMs....

Comment

Issues not solved but a solution....

FYI I put in some Crucial that was clocked half a clock slower(3) than the GSkill (2.5) in latency and the machine are working fine with full 2GB (1GB per slot) each machine. Be mindful og older machines may require a slower clock. I still can't explain how I've been able to upgrade the client's other 170Ls with this GSkill set and only run into speed issues with these two systems. WT???

Comment

Might check and see if the two problem kids have a different BIOS version

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

F1-3200PHU2-2GBNT

You should use this model instead.

The NS requires a slightly higher voltage, so some computers have a problem since it can not be adjusted.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X