reformatting an SSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reformatting an SSD?

how do I reformat an SSD?...with my mechanical drives I would use the hard drive erase tool provided by the manufacturer (or a 3rd party erase tool such as DBAN) to write zeroes to the drive and then install the operating system...is there such a tool with the SSD drives or do I just install the OS and let it do the formatting during the OS install?...Quick Install or Full Install when loading Vista?

The last thing you want to do is write zeroes to your ssd. In fact, you want to write as little as possible. Quick format and install is all you need. I have done this many times and get the max speed no problem. Vista needs no aligning or such.

Comment

but I heard there is an erase program for SSD drives correct (not wiper)?...what is that used for?

Comment

Well, if you were going to give your SSD away to somebody like selling it or maybe sending it back to the manufacturer, I would suggest to write zeroes and reformat it. I think Stilletto is right, it's better to write as less as you can to prolong the SSD's performance and lifespan. I heard if you do it right, your SSD can last ten years.

I suggest to just use quick format. If your worried about privacy like I am, use Ccleaner to write one pass of zeroes to anything you delete or use TrueCrypt to keep your data safe. I wouldn't run Ccleaner too often though.

Oh, and I haven't heard of any special erase program for SSD's
        Last edited by razzlejon; 06-19-2009, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Attach it as a secondary drive and use Disk Management under Computer Management and do a full format then run trim on it to reset the cells would be my suggestion if important data was on it.
          CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
          MB ASUS P6X58D-E
          GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
          RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
          PSU Corsair AX 850W
          SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
          HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
          CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
          GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
          RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
          SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb