Do i have a flaw ssd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i have a flaw ssd?

Problem FIXED after update Apple's EFI 1.7 for the new uMBP.
    The freeze is gone and performance come back.
    Speed boost 37% overall.
    here is the xbench
    Before:
    Disk Test 199.74
    Sequential 153.74
    Uncached Write 188.38 115.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 168.17 95.15 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 93.58 27.39 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 245.21 123.24 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 285.03
    Uncached Write 125.63 13.30 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 283.54 90.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2265.96 16.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 474.91 88.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

After the update:
    Disk Test 273.45
    Sequential 225.27
    Uncached Write 287.31 176.41 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 314.59 178.00 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 114.86 33.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 418.23 210.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Random 347.86
    Uncached Write 121.91 12.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Write 549.09 175.78 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Uncached Read 2548.45 18.06 MB/sec [4K blocks]
    Uncached Read 924.04 171.46 MB/sec [256K blocks]
    Last edited by zsnow; 06-24-2009, 06:22 AM.

i finally managed to install macos on it.
    but whenever i use timemachine to backup my data. it will freeze the whole machine around 50%. i have to force shutdown and restart.
    the firmware is already 1571.

Comment

Wow. I feel like I'm reading a post that I must have written. I just purchased the new 13" MacBook Pro last week to replace a Unibody MacBook I had for only a week. The Unibody MacBook was working great with the Falcon 128 - the 13" MacBook pro exhibits the same problems you describe - as well a periodic lock ups (only mouse will move). The reason for this seams to be because while the Unibody MacBook supported SATA II the new 13" and 15" MacBook Pros have been downgraded to SATA I. Thanks Apple! Go to macrumors and you can see their are hundreds of irate MacBook Pro owners.

Talking to G.Skill tech support this morning it appears that SATA I controllers can cause some lock up problems. It appears that I just waisted $300. Maybe I can get a bit on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by John566 View Post
        Wow. I feel like I'm reading a post that I must have written. I just purchased the new 13" MacBook Pro last week to replace a Unibody MacBook I had for only a week. The Unibody MacBook was working great with the Falcon 128 - the 13" MacBook pro exhibits the same problems you describe - as well a periodic lock ups (only mouse will move). The reason for this seams to be because while the Unibody MacBook supported SATA II the new 13" and 15" MacBook Pros have been downgraded to SATA I. Thanks Apple! Go to macrumors and you can see their are hundreds of irate MacBook Pro owners.

Talking to G.Skill tech support this morning it appears that SATA I controllers can cause some lock up problems. It appears that I just waisted $300. Maybe I can get a bit on eBay.
        I would hold for now and see if apple has any move in the following 2 weeks. If not, i will have to return my uMBP and get a used or refurb uMB.
        Why apple always screw us like this.

Comment

I just RMA'd my Falcon 128 to Newegg. I talked to G.Skill support and they felt that it was defective - mainly because I couldn't upgrade the firmware (tried 2 computers with Vista 64). This will also allow me to ebay a new sealed drive. Unless of corse Apple pulls their head out and updates us to the SATA II everyone assumed they had - then I will happily keep the Falcon.

I just ordered a Seagate-Momentus 500GB 7200 RPM. I have a 5400 RPM 500GB where the superdrive used to be. That gives me 1TB in my 13" computer.

zsnow,

Please update this thread if you have any sort of resolution. I will try to do the same. Thanks and good luck.

Comment

MBP 13' has SATA1, limited to 1.5Gbps

Comment

I just ordered a Seagate-Momentus 500GB 7200 RPM.
              I've tried it. Vibration was terrible, that's why I am looking at SSD. :-)
              And Seagate support sucks

Comment

I've read good and bad with the vibration on the Momentus. I think some are more balanced than others. I'm hoping the SATA II issue gets worked out with a firmware or driver update from Apple and then I'll keep the Falcon. I'd gladly give up a few hundred gigs of storage for the SSD's speed and silence.

It seems that the lack of SATA II is doing more than slowing down the Falcon on the 13" MBP. It seems to be compromising stability as well - that is a much bigger issue. The talk I had with the G.Skill tech support this morning seemed to confirm that this could be the case. I can loose a little speed but I won't subject myself to lockups a couple times a day. (These lockups have gone away since I put my stock drive back in the 13" MBP.)

Comment

Yeah, that's true. I've got MBP early 2008 model with SATA1. Looks like it works fine with Falcons, and even with SATA1 Falcons are faster than Momentus.

Momentus:
                  Sequential
                  Uncached Write 95.63 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                  Uncached Write 84.01 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                  Uncached Read 16.38 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                  Uncached Read 91.14 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                  Random
                  Uncached Write 1.20 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                  Uncached Write 52.77 MB/sec [256K blocks]
                  Uncached Read 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]
                  Uncached Read 27.10 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Comment

I could live with the SATA I slow down but I can't live with the new 13" MacBook Pros instability with many SSDs (including the Falcon)

Here is a thread at the OCZ forums about their drives also locking up with the new MBPs.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=57617

Comment

I sent email to apple and get the feedback from their executive.
                      They are investigate this issue now.

Comment

Huge thank you zsnow. Please post in hear what you hear from them. I'd love to use my Falcon in my beautiful new 13" MBP.

Comment

Apple just released a firmware update to fix the SATA I limitation on the new 13 & 15" MacBook Pros. Hopefully this will also stop the freezing problems. To bad I already sold my Falcon on Ebay.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/22/...erface-speeds/

Comment

Apple just released a firmware update to fix the SATA I limitation on the new 13 & 15" MacBook Pros. Hopefully this will also stop the freezing problems. To bad I already sold my Falcon on Ebay.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/22/...erface-speeds/
                            From my usage so far, i didn't see any hang up while time machine backup.
                            Before the update i will for sure hang somewhere while backup

Comment

Originally posted by zsnow View Post
                              From my usage so far, i didn't see any hang up while time machine backup.
                              Before the update i will for sure hang somewhere while backup
                              Did you already update the computers firmware or are you talking about the drive. If it is the MacBook Pro then I'm impressed - you are fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X