guru advice time :^}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guru advice time :^}

Hey All - New member here. I have a dilemma...I am trying to justify upgrading from 8gb to 16gb of 1333 Ripjaws (the red ones) based pretty much on the insane deal on Newegg right now - $25/4gb stick. I am not really a power user, always thought I would get into gaming but I never seem to make it happen. I did a little googling on the worth of going from 8 to 16, and read some advice that maybe you could predict (mostly referring to unnecessary overkill), but saw a few mentions about Ramdisk being one thing that would make it worthwhile if there wasn't any other good reason. I am currently digging into the subject, but I really wanted also to see if there was anything you folks might have to say about it. MY AV only has a month left and Newegg is also offering BitDefender as a combo deal with one stick so that is also on my mind. So, no major crisis, the house isn't burning, I would just appreciate any input anyone would like to share.

Many thanks and All The Best...krautdog

Some would depend on your rig (i.e. if it can handle 16)....and what you do....A RAM disk is great (especially if you aren't running SSD(s) and even if you are), 16 also comes in handy doing work w/ video, photos, big data sets, etc...it will continue to come in handy as new software comes out in 64bit...with the prices out there, if it's not going to kill you financially then think you'll like it and find uses

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply . Yes I did it - Newegg was just not gonna let me NOT get this ram upgrade. I had a couple beers (never a good idea when shopping online) then Newegg released a ShellShocker deal with the same ram...2 X 4gb for $45 shipped (!!!) PLUS a free (decent) 4gb Kingston flash drive PLUS I got the same combo as before so for an extra $10 I got a year of Bitdefender AV (currently ranked #1 by a couple sites). Man as broke as I am there is no way I could not pull the trigger on that. My system isn't super top shelf but I don't think it would bottleneck anything...

Win7 64 on 60gb SSD
      i5 760
      GA-P55A-UD3
      GTS-450

Thanks again for the tips TMan, I am tending to agree with your general feeling about it. I'm gonna find out whatever I can about the benefits of using a Ramdisk.

Comment

Working...
      X