X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating Firmware on a laptop

Hi,

I'm on a laptop and only have laptops.

How can I connect the Falcon 128GB in order to perform a firmware update?

If I mount it on a USB enclosure externally it won't be recognized by the upgrade utility.

I only have 1 SATA connection (internal) and Windows won't book from an USB drive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

coliv77

boot from a winpe cd maybe? Or find another machine :/

Comment

Another machine is not a good option. I can't be fetching machines each time the firmware is updated.
      GSkill should build an update tool that allows for external USB cases. This is nonsense. A laptop drive that has to be upgraded on a Desktop? Is this extremely convoluted or am I just missing something?
      How about a self booting utility?
      Thanks,

Comment

Finally managed to do it.

Placed the Falcon internally on the laptop and booted from a WinPE with XP CD. That took some work though.

Thanks to Extide for the suggestion.

I wish GSkill created a bootable flasher to make this easier...

Best,

coliv77

Comment

Yeah, I am still running 1370 on mine and it runs fabulous. I am not going to bother updating it until I am reinstalling my OS. I don't really think people need to be as concerned with updating it as they are.

Comment

I had random freezes with 1370 and thus wanted to do the firmware update. Unfortunately it didn't solve the freezes so I ended up returning the drive. Now I'm waiting for the replacement and crossing my fingers that this time it will work.

Comment

Thanks for the WinPE info; I was completely oblivious to what this even was. But since my desktop would not flash my SSD since it run on SCSI mode only, I had to use my laptop as the primary method of flashing. I had to download WIAK Windows Automated Installation Kit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en to make a WinPE ISO disk. Also far as making the WinPE I used this site http://apcmag.com/windows_pe_20_a_ti...aintenance.htm After that I added the Firmware on a flash drive and used the command prompt of C: then typed "Start.exe" and hit enter with the Falcon already in the drive bay with jumpers and it worked perfect! I agree with many others there needs to be an easier method for more novice users to update there hardware.
              Last edited by Schwanke78; 06-14-2009, 04:26 PM.
              CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
              MB ASUS P6X58D-E
              GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
              RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
              PSU Corsair AX 850W
              SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
              HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
              CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
              GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
              RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
              SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb