Beware memtest86+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware memtest86+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 (BIOS F8)
    G.Skill RAM: F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK (x2)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

I have been using memtest86+ to determine if new RAM modules work successfully. Earlier this year, I wanted to add 2x2GB to my system which already had Corsair 2x1GB modules. At that time, I used memtest86+ to check the new GSkill modules, and it (correctly) let me know that they were bad... and I RMA'd them for replacements.

I was never able to get memtest86+ to pass with both the GSkill 2x2GB set and the Corsair 2x1GB set installed, so I have been using only the GSkill set since April assuming that the different brands of memory had a conflict.

I just purchased a second set of GSkill 2x2GB modules, and experienced the SAME problem with not being able to use both sets of memory at once. However, each 2x2GB set passed memtest86+ just fine.

Because of this, I thought my motherboard was broken -- maybe the second set of slots was bad. However, I decided to boot my OS anyway (Debian Linux)... and had no problems. I still assumed the memory was bad, but I just wasn't using enough to cross the 4096MB limit.

I then discovered that there is a Linux program called 'memtester' which can be run in the OS to check the free memory. With about 7480MB free, I ran this:

memtest 7200

which allocates 7200MB of RAM and puts it through the wringer. My system passes these tests flawlessly, even at fast 4-4-4-12 timings. (These G.Skill modules are rated for those timings at 2.0-2.1V, but I found that I had to use 2.1V when using a single 2x2GB set, so that's what I am using now.)

The memtest86+ program actually runs before any OS is loaded, and the version I use (2.01) hangs on the first test when it hits 4096-6144MB -- which for me is where the first 2x2GB set hands off to the second 2x2GB.

So everyone beware a hanging memtest86+ -- it doesn't necessary mean your RAM is bad if it hangs. (If it does NOT hang, and reports bad memory, it can probably be trusted.)

memtest is only one of tool softwares to check if your memory is defective, but it is not 100% accurate

GS

Comment

Working...
    X