Asus A8n-E with AMD toledo dual core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus A8n-E with AMD toledo dual core

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS

motherboard Asus A8N-E full size mobo
    CPU AMD athlon x2 4200+ toledo
    Windows Vista 64 ultimate +SP2

I have 4x1 gb of this memory 2 kits total from newegg, for my sisters older computer.

It only runs 2gb at 400mhz, if I add 2 additional DIMMS, speed drops to 200MHz

Is there any setting or DIMM combo which allows the DIMMS to run at 400MHZ, even if CAS latency must be increased?

My parents also have an old pc with 2gb of the above mem. Runs fine.
    MSI K8-Neo4-F, cpu is athlon 64 3800+
    Windows 7 64 ultimate

Adding 2gb additional reduced speed to 333mhz, same CAS.

Same question: Any way to get 400Mhz speed from 4x1 gb of this MEM? Is there another Gskill product that will run at 400MHZ?

Thanks for help.

I have several Gskill kits in DDR2 and DDR3 specifications and have never had one problem!

Make sure DRAM Voltage is 2.75V, and manually input memory settings, especially DRAM Frequency DDR 400.

If slightly unstable, you may need to raise NB Voltage to stabilize full slots.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

ok!

Thank you very much for your response. I will try this solution in the next few days, and post the results....

Comment

Update on 4x1gb DDR 400 setup

update:

On Asus A8N-E motherboard, voltage settings were not available in BIOS, nor did any of the jumpers allow voltage increases to the DIMM slots.

However, I was able to successfully install 4x1gb of the above GSKILL RAM simply by setting the mem speed to MANUAL (from AUTO), and leaving all other settings (speed, CAS timings) in their AUTO value state.

the PC boots and runs perfectly, very stable with 4x1gb, giving life to an old PC running Vista64 ultimate....

Thanks very much for help and for the high quality RAM that has never failed me yet, no matter how much I demanded of it.

Comment

Glad to hear it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

PS

By the way speed is full 400mhz, I should have said. 4x1gb at full pc3200 speed, so I am pleased.

Comment

Great, Enjoy!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

further news and findings...

Just in case anyone might find this information useful if they have an old computer:

Well, the Asus A8n_E mobo has bluescreened after 72 hours, however, I downloaded the manual and found the voltage control, its in the "Advanced/Jumperless configuration" BIOS menu and not the "CPU config" or "DRAM config"... I was looking in the wrong place for this setting before, and could not find it....

After setting the VDIMM setting to 2.75v, up from 2.5v default as suggested above by support, the system has run stable for a week, and passed several stress tests.....

So far, so good.

The MSI K8N-Neo-4f, also has been upgraded to 4x1gb and in that case, 2.70v seems to be the best voltage to run at 400mhz, again passing the prime95 24 hour stress test and a memtest run for another 24 hours.....

Oddly, that motherboard will not allow an increase in the CPU multiplier past the stock setting, however it will allow HUGE increases in FSB speed, which I left at 200mhz....

And another setting under DRAM config, called "Fill memory hole" was required to be set to "enabled" to allow windows to use all 4gb, otherwise 3.25gb will be used, even if 4gb found.... This was not an issue on the ASUS board, only MSI...

This was an XP-or 32bit-related setting, I guess.

So, 2 old 2005/2006 era computers, both now running 4x1gb Gskill PC3200 DIMMS at 400Mhz with VDimm voltage at 2.75v for ASUS A8N-E, and 2.70v for MSI K8N-Neo4f...

First time I have worked on such old computers in a long time......

Comment

Thanks for the info

Tman

Comment

Very useful information, same issues arise with newer motherboards too, so hopefully people can learn from this.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X