Falcon 128 stopping bios POST during boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 128 stopping bios POST during boot

I tried to reformat my drive with windows 7. The OS would not allow me to do so, I believe it was still seeing the drive as the primary drive. The only option that I was allowed to do was to make the drive a dynamic drive. When I did that I rebooted the computer and the drive now stops the computer during the BIOS boot. It just stops when it gets to the SATA port that the drive is on. I have change the BIO to AHCI and IDE and the problem remains. As long as the drive is disconected the system POSTs and boots corectly. (I have to remove the drive to get into the bios and change settings)

How do I reset or clear the drive so that the bios can read the drive?

Note: the drive had been working great for the last month, I just wanted to work with windows 7 again and have a clean format on the drive. Now I have no computer.

Any assistance would be very helpful.
    Thankyou
    Chris

Are you able to boot from your DVD-ROM drives. Did you make a windows 7 ISO boot disc in which you can try to boot from the windows 7 disc and go through the installation setup? From there, you should be able to format the drive. Actually, any windows disc will do, Vista, XP. You just need something to format the drive. You may have to manually boot from the disc directly before it detects your hard drives, but I'm not sure.

My other suggestions would be disconnecting all your hard drives except the SSD, and maybe clearing CMOS and try formatting that way, maybe unplugging your computer from power first.

Comment

possible solution

After reading the procedure for flashing the drive, it is part for the proceedure to boot the computer then plug in the drive. I did not want to plug in the drive on a running machine. The problem was that I could not get past the bios boot (POST) with the drive in. I am currently booted and running vista 64 Ultima with the drive out. I then pluged the drive in and am in the process of formating it. It is alternating writing at ~40MB/sec to 140 MB/sec on the write. I will then see if it will boot with the disk in next. If that works, I will build a windows seven OS and reformate the drive in windows 7. The forums indicate that windows seven will format the drive with the correct offset.

I hope to give an update in about 30 min

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

fixed

The drive is up, the computer boots. The secret was to get the computer up an running, plug in the SATA cable, then make the partition and format.

Installing windows 7 now and then another re-format and we should be good to go.

I really love this drive.

r,
        Chris

Comment

thanks for the update, will keep that in mind. I was still waiting for my drive to come in the mail from newegg.com, so I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet. I'm glad you were able to solve it.

thanks

Comment

great drive

I abbsolutly love this drive. Having to reload everything on a standard 40g SATA drive I really see how much faster the Falcon is. Other then this weird problem, it has been a flawless drive.

There is no manual. I got my drive from newegg as well. This forum has a lot of information, including settings for XP, VISTA, and Win 7.

Additionally, the compatition (OCZ) has some good information about SSD drives and set ups. But you have maid the right decision on drives. This one already has the latest firmware and is faster then the OCZ.

I was getting through put higher then they advertized. This drive is wicked fast!!!!!

r,
            Chris

Comment

we're glad oyur issue is solved
              and thanks for your sharing

G.S

Comment

Working...
              X