Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Tips For Installing Vista Ultimate x64 On 64GB Falcon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Tips For Installing Vista Ultimate x64 On 64GB Falcon?

I have a question regarding installation of the new Falcon 64 on Vista Ultimate 64. This is my first SSD so I'm wanting to do this right the first time hopefully someone can give me some tips. I'm building a media center, here's the specs of my hardware.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel motherboard
    8 GB of G.Skill DDR2 SDRAM

I'll be installing Vista Ultimate 64 on the Falcon 64, any tips I need to know in doing this, and any modifications I need to make to Vista once I have it installed to get the best performance? I understand that the Falcon does not have the stuttering problem is this correct?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

INstall should be straightforward with no problems. As to system modifications, there are numerous tweaks you can employ, and while they won't show up all that much when running benchmarks , they do improve the performance by a large bit in real world everyday computing. Some have been listed in this forum, but to really understand SSDs and performance management, your best bet would be in the OCZ forums. GSkill seems only interested in synthetic benchmarking as opposed to real world computing

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

there is nothing special to set to install system in Falcon SSD
      if you could enable SATA mode to AHCI, it would be better
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Not my work, but it may help you out!

Hibernation: Click Start and then type Cmd.exe In the search results list. Right-click Command Prompt or Cmd.exe, and then click run.
        At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe -h off, and then press enter, then type exit and enter.

Write-cache enabled: Right click on the SSD properties in device manager, go to policies and make sure both the cache options are checked.

Defrag disabled: Right click on the SSD drive… properties… tools… defragment and un-check schedule defragment this drive

System restore disabled: Right click my computer… properties… advanced system setting… system protection tab… un-check
        C drive and follow on screen instructions.

Search indexing disabled: Start...control panel...classic view...administrative tools...services...scroll down to wind
        ows search and right click...properties...change startup type to disabled.

Drive indexing disabled: For both “SSD and Ram drives” my computer… right click on the SSD drive… properties… un-check
        drive indexing... follower the small wizard guide and wait for it to finish.

Superfetch disabled: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. goto... Hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\
        CurrentControlSet \Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters... right click EnableSuperfetch...
        hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK. Also start... control panel... classic view... administrative tools...
        services... scroll down to superfetch and make sure it’s "disabled" on startup.

Prefetch disabled: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. Goto... Hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\
        CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters... right click Enableprefetcher...
        hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK.

Pagefile disabled: Right click my computer... properties... advanced system settings... advanced tab... performance...
        settings... advanced tab... virtual memory...hit change... un-check "automatically manage paging file for all drives"
        and then check "no paging file" and hit set.

Boot defrag disable: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. Goto... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
        Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\Enable from 'Y' to 'N'.

Vista set to performance mode: Right click my computer... properties... advanced system settings… advanced...
        performance... hit the settings box and check adjust for best performance.
        Last edited by Schwanke78; 05-23-2009, 04:39 AM.
        CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
        MB ASUS P6X58D-E
        GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
        RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
        PSU Corsair AX 850W
        SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
        HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
        CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
        GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
        RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
        SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

Comment

I would suggest to leave superfetch and prefetch enabled..

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanke78 View Post
            Not my work, but it may help you out!

Hibernation: Click Start and then type Cmd.exe In the search results list. Right-click Command Prompt or Cmd.exe, and then click run.
            At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe -h off, and then press enter, then type exit and enter.

Write-cache enabled: Right click on the SSD properties in device manager, go to policies and make sure both the cache options are checked.

Defrag disabled: Right click on the SSD drive? properties? tools? defragment and un-check schedule defragment this drive

System restore disabled: Right click my computer? properties? advanced system setting? system protection tab? un-check
            C drive and follow on screen instructions.

Search indexing disabled: Start...control panel...classic view...administrative tools...services...scroll down to wind
            ows search and right click...properties...change startup type to disabled.

Drive indexing disabled: For both ?SSD and Ram drives? my computer? right click on the SSD drive? properties? un-check
            drive indexing... follower the small wizard guide and wait for it to finish.

Superfetch disabled: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. goto... Hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\
            CurrentControlSet \Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters... right click EnableSuperfetch...
            hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK. Also start... control panel... classic view... administrative tools...
            services... scroll down to superfetch and make sure it?s "disabled" on startup.

Prefetch disabled: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. Goto... Hkey_local_machine\SYSTEM\
            CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters... right click Enableprefetcher...
            hit modify and change 3 to 0 and hit OK.

Pagefile disabled: Right click my computer... properties... advanced system settings... advanced tab... performance...
            settings... advanced tab... virtual memory...hit change... un-check "automatically manage paging file for all drives"
            and then check "no paging file" and hit set.

Boot defrag disable: Start add search entry regedit then hit regedit.exe. Goto... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
            Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction\Enable from 'Y' to 'N'.

Vista set to performance mode: Right click my computer... properties... advanced system settings? advanced...
            performance... hit the settings box and check adjust for best performance.

thanks for sharing this info
            we'll try to test it out recently

G.S

Comment

Working...
            X