X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard ram voltage

Dumb question.. maybe
    I have a MSI motherboard that has the ram voltage spec at 1.8v
    this must be the base-line or default voltage setting ???
    I am running some G-skill ram with a spec of 1.8-1.9v.
    but it is only 800mhz. works killer!!
    The ram I would like to use is the G-skill 1066 but it has a voltage spec of 2.0-2.1v
    Will this ram work in this motherboard.

??

What model of MSI motherboard do you have? If default it 800/1.8 but it will support 1066 or higher, it should be no problem. May want to check that you have the latest BIOS and then check if you can change the BIOS settings manually to faster speed and higher voltage

Comment

MSI ram voltage

Hi
      Thanks for your reply.
      I have two MSI motherboard with this same voltage spec.
      The first is a K9A2 NEO-F (oldie but goodie) .
      The second is a 790XT-G45 . I am running Gskill F2-6400CL5D 4GBPQ (800 mhz) x2 in each.
      The voltage spec on this ram is 1.8- 1.9 Works fantastic, never a problem. EVER.
      BUT, blame it on OCD... it states in both manuals that these motherboards support 1066
      and the only Gskill DDR2 ram that I can find at 1066 mhz has a voltage spec of 2.0 - 2.1
      I guess I need to be schooled on what these voltage specs really mean.
      Will the 2.0 -2.1 not work in a dimm slot rated at 1.8 v? Am I bound by the 1.8 v as far as to the ram I can use on these boards? If I put the 2.0- 2.1 v ram in will I have to get into BIOS and increase the ram voltage by .2v to make this work? Am I overthinking this?
      I guess i could do the "buy it and try it method", but I would rather do a little research and pick a few brains first before I drop anymore money .

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem, install it, boot into BIOS and see what it sets be default, should pick up up the timings and voltage but may default the speed to 800, if so reset the speed manually, ensure the timings meet the sticks specs and that the DRAM voltage is spec, if not change it also

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

MSI ram voltage

Thanks for the info.
          Going to try this as soon as I can get the ram .
          The only reason I am so **** about this is because if this would not work on paper
          I was going to bite the bullet and spend the money to upgrade to an AM3 socket mobo and DDR3 ram. Gonna give it a go.
          Thanks to all for responding.
          Rick

Comment

No problem, let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X