Higher performance memory vs standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher performance memory vs standard

Why does "high performance" memory, ie: 2000 vs standard RAM cost more, but, has "slower timing rates" than the standard RAM configurations?
    Timings for the "high performance" RAM, say has timings of 9-9-9-24, where as the standard RAM would typically have faster timings of say 7-7-7-21?
    I don't even know what those numbers mean but it seems the faster memory has slower timings and the slower memory has faster timings, yet the faster memory costs more??!!
    Hope this makes sense.
    TIA,
    --David

The timings sort of tell you how long it takes to do something at the frequency (speed) you are running at. with sets of a like ilk say two different sets of 1600 rated DRAM the set with the tighter timings (lower numbers) will out perform a looser set, i.e. a 7-7-7-21 set running at 1600 will outperform a 1600 set running at 9-9-9-27. You can also consider that a 1600 set rated 9-9-9-24 can prob run at a lower speed/frequency i.e. 1333 w/ tighter timings, say 7-7-7-21, which is one reason if say you aren't sure your system can currently run 1600 sticks at rated speeds of 1600, some will get them anyway and run them at 1333 or so with the tighter 7-7-7-21 timings as opposed to buying a 1333 set at 8-8-8-24 to get same or better performance while having an opening to later run them at faster speed if/when the manufacturer does a BIOS upgrade to improve the speed of the DRAM the mobo will run.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I definitely see (with your answer) that I worded my question improperly. However, you answered it very well. At least now I understand why the "high performance" memory has slower speeds than the "standard speed RAM".

Thanks tons!!

Comment

If you need more info, let me know, I tried to keep it simple.....

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Would say, 12800 RAM w/7-7-7-24 overclock very well? I believe that's a tough question, but, maybe you can give a sensible answer like you did before.

One more question, I bought 3 sticks of Trident RAM (3x2g) with timings of 7-8-7-2x. Would I set all the RAM timings to "auto" in an Asus Sabertoothx58?

Comment

1st - 12800 which is 1600 at CL7, would probably be able to OC up to at least 1800+ w/ maybe 9-9-9-24 timings

2nd - That would be a very Definite MAYBE! It's possible, but would depend on the mobo (can be very slight differences, even w/ the same model), and the BIOS. Ideally the mobo will read the info off the SPD on the sticks and set accordingly, but most mobo will default and autoset to a fixed JEDEC DRAM standard, so depending on ypur BIOS it will prob default to 1333 or 1066. I normally always set the timings manually and generally recommend it to others also, as depending on your overall system setup, other things can affect your settings, manually set, locks the setting in

Tman

Comment

Tman, you're great help! Thanks. Now I'm going to milk you for all I can get .

Regarding settings for my Trident 3x2g sticks 12800 1.5v 7-8-7-24, which of the RAM setting should I use outside the ones stated above, would I manually change? See, I don't get all this stuff, and there are a ton of settings and I don't want to fry my any of my brand-new high dollar (for me) components. So, again, your help is appreciated to the nth degree!

Comment

The rest of your timings should probably be fine at auto, if you were to add additional sticks in the future would possibly need to adjust maybe one or two of the timings and probably a voltage or two (or more). If you encounter any problems, give a shout, I normally have this site and a couple others up whenever I'm at home or at the shop

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X