Noob, going 24GB question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob, going 24GB question

Hi there, I am a noob to the forum so sorry in advance. I think I need some major help/advise. I am trying to figure out the best (fastest-quickest) and most upgradable Ram for my system. I bought (2) G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12BRL sets to upgrade from my (stock) 12GB Elpida-6x2GB, to a 24GB G.Skill setup. Now I am reading and looking around (should have done this first, I know) I am thinking that there is better G.Skill memory out there for my system. Any help or suggestion?s please?

Here is my system.

Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000:

Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2GHz - Current speed - 3.33GHz

Motherboard ? Dell Inc, Model - 0X501H, Chipset - Intel X58, BIOS - Version A16 03/19/2009, SMBIOS Version 2.5

GPU ? Nvidia GeForce GTX 260, Driver 8.17.12.6099, 10/16/2010 (Will be upgrading in the next few weeks!)

I really just want to know if I am doing the right thing. Once I started reading more about the latencies 7 vers 9, and PC3-8500, 10666, or 12800. I knew I needed help from people that knew way more than I do.

Thanks again

You picked a good set(s), but to answer your questions - ideally, when buying DRAM (any size kit) it's best to buy the full amount of DRAM you want in a single kit, in your case for 24GB, a single 6x4GB package - that way you are getting a set that has been tested and all sticks play well together. When buying 2 sets, even when the same model, there is no guarantee that they will work together well, you can normally get them to work but may sacrifice from stated specs.

Next, as to speed and latencies (CL) two major things to keep in mind that you want A) the fastest speed you can go and the lowest CL - i.e. 1600/CL7 will outperform 1600/CL9, you also want to keep in mind that whatever speed you get can be run at a slower speed and generally with a lower (or tighter CL) i.e. if you look at 1600/8 and 1333/7, might give thought that the 1600/8 can more than likely run at 1333/7 or maybe even 1333/6.

Generally speaking, I normally suggest getting the fastest DRAM you can with the lowest CL - even if you can afford DRAM or find it at a good price that your mobo or CPU won't support in it's native mode, again, because you can always downclock it, and then down the road a bit, your mobo maker might do a bios upgrade that WILL support the higher speed....or...you may decide to upgrade the CPU, which will support higher speeds.....or... you may upgrade the combo and already have fast DRAM on hand

Hope that helps, if your looking for more specific info, i.e. exact models, I can take a look later today

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The Studio XPS 435T should be capable of DDR3-1600 CL8 or DDR3-1333 CL7 max. Of course it is a BIOS limitation by Dell.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the info Tman.

So, would you recommend getting a set of 6x4GB (24GB set) first and foremost, and then go with what will fit in my system as far as speed/CL? It seems I either find the faster speed with slower CL or lower speed with a faster CL! I will look around tonight and see what I can find and post then.
        Thanks again

Comment

I'd look for the fastest speed in the budget w/ the lowest CL to match your mobo specs i.e. if you can get 1600/8 you can probably drop to 1333/7 or maybe even 6 and pretty much maintain performance at the lower speed...sort of trying to balance out price vs performance at like speeds

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, I think I am understanding now. My issue is that when I find the speed-cl that works with my board either they don't sell in 24gb kits or the volts is at 1.65 not 1.5

This is what I found on G.Skills site.

F312800CL7T2-24GBTDD this set is 1.65 volts and I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Found this on Newegg site.

Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL this is pretty much the same kit I bought from them, other than this is a 24gb kit and I bought (2) F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

Is there a way to talk to tech supporrt with G.skill or is this forum pretty much it? My big question is I bought 2 12gb kit from newegg and they seem work just fine. I don't want to keep them if it is better to buy the F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL kit.

Is there a 24gb kit that is 1600/7cl or 8cl that is 1.5v? I just don't seem to be finding them if G'skill makes it. The buget isn't an issue, so do you know if there is such a kit?

Sorry for bouncing all over the place but for me it does get a little confusing .

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Comment

You are talking to tech support, I am reading your comments.

Most performance kits are 1.60V+, so you will want to look out for 1.50V.

The 12GBRL is fine, hopefully the two kits are capable of working together. If you want a guaranteed kit, then the 24GBRL would be better.

24GB kits are rare, so currently there is no kit that fits your stated specs.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Oh good to know on the tech support.

Ok then, For my system would you go with the (2) F3-12800CL9T-12BRL that I bought or return them for (2) F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH?

It seems like the later of the two is the closest if not spot on when I look at the stock Elpida's (6) 2gb that came out of it.

I really like this Dell Studio XPS case and just want to try and build for futer upgrades.

Again, thank you very much for all your advide and time.

Comment

It depends whether you want max performance. With the 12GBRL, if you can adjust voltage and timings in BIOS, you can try DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.65V. If you can't adjust anything, then stick to the 12GBRH. The motherboard should be able to support this spec, but 24GBs worth will be interesting to see if the CPU can support it.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

I have 24Gb in it now. As for the volts, timming, BIOS, I have not messed with anything. I ran CPU-Z and it see's all 24 and says 24 are being used. Shouldn't the i7 965 Extm be able to handle 24gb?

Comment

If it sees it and is running OK, should be good to go

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X