X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgradin memory on ASRock 939Dual- SATA2

I'm just seeking help on upgrading ram on my system:

- ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
    - running 2 x G Skill ZX 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz) and still 2 slots available
    - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Can i add a 1g mem and leave 1 slot free, or should i put 2 x 512 mb and occupy all slots?

what is the maximum ram i can use on this system?

Thanks
    Z

Max mem is 4x1GB, you could add 1GB or 2 GB, about the max you'll be able to see with XP 32bit is appr 3GB give or take about 512 (norm is appr 2.5 GB to 3.5GB with 32 bit. If you add 2X1GB, put them in slots 1-2 (Blue), and the 512x2 in 3-4 (Black)

You didn't mention what CPU you are running, but being AMD, make sure your particular CPU can run the amount you want, shouldn't be any problem but always best to check first.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by jjba View Post
      I'm just seeking help on upgrading ram on my system:

- ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
      - running 2 x G Skill ZX 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz) and still 2 slots available
      - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Can i add a 1g mem and leave 1 slot free, or should i put 2 x 512 mb and occupy all slots?

what is the maximum ram i can use on this system?

Thanks
      Z
      so you are using AMD K8 939 platform?
      we'd recommend you to replace with another 2*1GB kit
      on 939 platform, if you install more than 2 sticks of memory, it could only run at DDR333
      it's a limitation of AMD K8 memory controller
      as we know, few motherboards could run DDR400, even at 1T, while installing 4 sticks, for example, DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Venus/Expert
      so, we'd recommend you to change it to F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX if you want to keep the performance
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Gskill,
        That partially why I asked about the CPU info, this board has an optional AM2 CPU daughter board port which allows the running of AM2 CPUs (940 pin flavors), this can change the RAM options quite a bit.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Gskill,
          That partially why I asked about the CPU info, this board has an optional AM2 CPU daughter board port which allows the running of AM2 CPUs (940 pin flavors), this can change the RAM options quite a bit.

we don't have this board in hand to test and the optional upgrade is not mentioned by jjba
          and we don't know if this limitation could be solved by just using different cpu sockets
          we'll wait for jjba for updating his platform
          thanks

G.S

Comment

GSkill,

Pardon me!

Rather than just make assumptions as to what one has, particularly when there are options such as I mentioned, which can drastically change the possibilities, I'd like to see what a person actually has. Since I have seen this board, which is somewhat of a hybrid, I simply thought I would ask (which by the way I did, before you answered.

My second post, where I mentioned the d-board option was to to provide the info to you since you were suggesting he buy something based on your assumption

'so you are using AMD K8 939 platform?'

If indeed they are running the option, this would affect memory possibilities, and I thought the info might save you all some grief if a purchase was made simply on your assumption.

Tman

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              Max mem is 4x1GB, you could add 1GB or 2 GB, about the max you'll be able to see with XP 32bit is appr 3GB give or take about 512 (norm is appr 2.5 GB to 3.5GB with 32 bit. If you add 2X1GB, put them in slots 1-2 (Blue), and the 512x2 in 3-4 (Black)

You didn't mention what CPU you are running, but being AMD, make sure your particular CPU can run the amount you want, shouldn't be any problem but always best to check first.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157081

The CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
                so you are using AMD K8 939 platform?
                we'd recommend you to replace with another 2*1GB kit
                on 939 platform, if you install more than 2 sticks of memory, it could only run at DDR333
                it's a limitation of AMD K8 memory controller
                as we know, few motherboards could run DDR400, even at 1T, while installing 4 sticks, for example, DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR Venus/Expert
                so, we'd recommend you to change it to F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX if you want to keep the performance
                thanks

G.S
                With this option, i'd replace the existing the 2*512 mb sticks by 2*1gb sticks, leaving two slots available, but increasing the ram by 1 gb. Is that what you're saying?

Thanks

Comment

It?s a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

Comment

i will recommend to use F1-3200phu2-2gbns. it is compatible and while losing some timing to make your memory contorller not that stress. maybe you can run it at DDR400 with all 3GB.

Comment

Working...
                    X