X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12gb on x58? what Ram can do this

I am buying a
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

and I want to run 12gb all ram slots filled. What do you suggest?

I was going to buy two of Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK
    but I did not know if this will work.

please let me know

I've been back and forth with GSkill on 12 GB setups a couple times and they've told me here in the forums they aren't planning on any 12GB kits and that they only 'support' a single 6GB kit.

For just a few dollars less (164.00 @ the Egg) OCZ has a 12GB kit at this speed 1333 (timings 7-7-7-20) or for a bit more Corsair has their XMS3 12 GB kit ($204), which has gotten some real good reviews.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by zaniix View Post
      I am buying a
      ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

and I want to run 12gb all ram slots filled. What do you suggest?

I was going to buy two of Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK
      but I did not know if this will work.

please let me know

it should be fine to run 2 set of F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK together on this board
      if the 2 sets you purchased can't run together, you could contact with us
      We'll try to test 4 sticks which could run together
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Do you have any suggestions for the Voltage and timings?

I assume 1.65v @1600mhz with listed timings?

Comment

If you try these, I'd suggest you have GSkill put something in writing to the effect that if they don't work, then Gskill will provide a refund, otherwise, since most retailers won't provide a refund, you'd be sitting on appr $170 of RAM that you might only be able to use half of.
          They have a habit of saying things should work, might work, possibly will work - but then don't back up the products if they don't work. instead suggesting you buy something different (which again, may or may not work). This seems to be a pattern both in RAM and particularly with their SSDs.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Do you have any suggestions for the Voltage and timings?

I assume 1.65v @1600mhz with listed timings?

F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK is DDR3 1333, not 1600
            if you would like to purchase DDR3 1600 for 12GB, we'd recommend you to choose F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
            it could still run DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24@1.5v while installing 6 sticks
            thanks

G.S

Comment

If your wanting to go 1600, check the recent posts by Dajupe and Farcough, they both were dealing with this suggested RAM and the P6T.

Also check the post by ExMachinery (one of the reasons I suggested the other brands or ask for a money back guarantee), here they say all should be good - to ExMachinery they said

"sorry, but we could only guarantee for 3 sticks in triple channel, not total 6 sticks
              and it would be very hot when 6 sticks are all installed
              you'll need to add a fan on it
              thanks"

and

"well, i would not recommend to run 6 modules. it is not just the heat issue.
              the problem is the memory controller.
              tri-channel memory controller has a very weak channel. YEAH, YOU SEE EVERY MOTHERBOARD WANTS YOU TO USE 1-3-5 OR 2-4-6. why? because other channel is WEAK.
              if you want to use 6 modules, you might need to

1. increase the QPI volt. (make memory controller stronger)
              2. increase the memory volt (make memory signal stronger)
              3. decrease the speed of memory. (prevents memory controller overload)

NO3 is the best way to do because 1 and 2 might cause overheat problem"

The second quote is by GSkill-Tech, who doesn't seem to understand how dual and tri channel RAM works

Last edited by Tradesman; 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM.

Tman

Comment

thanks for the reply.

I do not blame Gskill as this is an issue that many memory makers are having. However I know the OCZ will work as I need so that was the way I went.

I still put a lot of faith in Gskill and I have had great luck with them, but running the memory at 1600mhz with all 6 slots filled has been an issue for many with the voltage limitations.

I really wish we could buy memory and just have it work on auto at the rated speed. I do not understand why things have to be so difficult, but then if I wanted easy I would not build it myself.

Comment

Agree, at times it can be fun tweaking the RAM to get the last xtra nth of a degree of performance...but it would be nice if they would work at the specified timings out of the box. That was the purpose of JEDEC, to set standards.

Tman

Comment

Yeah JEDEC would have been okay if someone would follow it. That is what is hard for people to understand. If your memory auto detected at 1333, but it says its 1600mhz then it is really 1333 that is capable of being overclocked to 1600mhz.

What I do not get is why I can not just buy actual 1600mhz DDR3. One person told me to just purchase ram one speed higher than I want and it will probably auto to one step lower and run stable, but that just seems wrong.

This is also why ram runs so hot, its running at above specs.

Comment

Above, below, near......that's why you also have the oddball stuff 900, 1000 etc. 900 is often 800 that runs real well (OC), 1000 is often 1066 that won't hit and maintain stability at 1066 spec, etc. They used to just toss the bad sticks, now they give them a new number and sell them.

As far as auto-detect, that;s something that you lay on the mobo 'maker' and how well they want to implement the chipset, generally the higher price the board the better the auto-detect. i.e. ASUS, EVGA are good with the higher end boards, but the lower end may call for a RAM standard of 1066, but with no tweaking of the chipset it picks up everything at 800.

What also really makes it hard is when the manufactures aren't looking at the world and realizing the shift to 64bit has already begun and people are wanting 8-12 GB, so many of them, like Gskill are still only testing at 2-4-6GB, but are quite happy to tell prospective customers that 'sure' 8 or 12 will work, then when it doesn't, rather than do anything about it, they 'suggest' you go spend another $100 or 2 and buy a different model (which, may well not work either.

That's one reason I suggestive the 12 GB packages I did, plus OCZ and Corsair provide good support and back up their products such as this

Tman

Comment

thanks for the reply.

I do not blame Gskill as this is an issue that many memory makers are having. However I know the OCZ will work as I need so that was the way I went.

I still put a lot of faith in Gskill and I have had great luck with them, but running the memory at 1600mhz with all 6 slots filled has been an issue for many with the voltage limitations.

I really wish we could buy memory and just have it work on auto at the rated speed. I do not understand why things have to be so difficult, but then if I wanted easy I would not build it myself.

actually, you could go to Intel website, you'll find intel i7 processor only support to DDR3 800/1066
                        even DDR3 1333 is not supported
                        and for JEDEC standard, it is above CL9 for DDR3 1600, not CL7
                        so it needs to set some settings manually to run CL7 with DDR3 1600
                        it's kind of overclocking
                        if you are purchasing F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ, it would automatically run at DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 without manual setting
                        thanks

G.S

Comment

Zaniix,
                          If you would, drop a post on how it goes with the new RAM. I think you'll probably make out fine at stock timings and voltage, but appreciate whatever you could pass on.

Thanx
                          Tradesman

Tman

Comment

I ended up using OCZ XMP ram, not becasue they are better it was just a bettter price on that day with rebates etc. Gskill is just as good.

12gb runs great. QPI 1.4 dram v 1.66

Comment

Great, I think you'll be happy. The XMPs dissipate heat well and are known to be good for a bit of OCing also if you decide you want just a little extra out of them.

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X