Old school/New school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school/New school

First of all I?m glad to be it this form, I saw other but this is the most comfortable and informative platform yet. And I need a lot information to start on my new build. I been out of the game for a long time it hard to remember things, my last build was back in the late Nineties with an Iwill 486 motherboard, Win98 and 512 of memory, it was smoking in those days. Now with technology at light speed it?s harder to make a decision on any hardware/software application without been outdated the next day and the reviews on Newegg, will drive you crazy, who do you believe.
    I?m rambling, sorry about that a little frustrated anyway after much soul searching here are the spec for my new build, any, any suggesting is most welcome

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD
    AMD Phenom ll X4 955 Black Edition C3 (cheap right now)
    G-skill 4GB there are a couple of set that I?m looking at
    Memory model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ or F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK so what?s the difference
    Win 7 64bits
    Cosair 750 watts
    The rest is still up in the air
    If I went overboard on this post please feel free to set me straight
    Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Your build seems fine, but for memory, may I suggest these kits. I don't know where you live so the availability and price might be a factor.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231321
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231303

Comment

re ram and new build

Pick your ram wisely, you will be adding a ssd in the very short future if its not on your shopping list alrighty. Ssd require far more ram than a hdd does when set up properly. You will want to look at 8gb at least and 12gb for future profing. I run out of ram with two games open at the same time, if im not getting kicked from my program im getting low ram warnings. Starcraft 2 uses almost 3gb itself. Get larger modules...........like 2x4 gb and that will leave aleast 2 slots remaining for increasing later. I added 2x2gb and now in hindsight should have gotten 2x4 and add a another 2x4gb sticks later. I now have to scrap my ram and start over to max my mobo out at 16gb.........not that you need THAT much but hey..........lol

The 890 mobos are awsome boards but i think 1600 is max and your mobo may alllow for 1866 oc if you want to do that.........you really should think about the 6 core amd lineup as the 890 really is ment to have a sixcore installed to get the full benifets plus they are under 200 beans-or less sometimes as i got mine for 199$ (1055T).

PS grab the ram cooler from these guys, its awsome to look at in the dark (single 60mm one, not the ugly dual fan one).

ATI has very nice priced gpus' right now

What case are you planning on getting, remember most people judge a book by the cover

I have that power supply, the gx version and its very nice.
      Ill say it again, win7 screams for a ssd. Even if its only a small 40gb version to load your os you cant complain about 10s startups plus everything is blazing fast even if its saving to a non-ssd drive. I load office 2003 in less than 2 mins to a hdd.

Good luck, have fun

Comment

F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ is plug and play.

Also, it can easily be upgraded by adding modules. With more performance oriented memory, it may require further tweaking and adjustment.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

First thank you for your quick respond, for member mrcmtl I click on the link and under the detail section it states Designed Specifically for Socket LGA 1156 Intel Core i5 & i7 CPUs are these ram compatible with the Gigabyte AMD motherboard.
          And for member cravinmild my case is a HAF 922 given to me by my wife on my birthday (god bless her) as for Ssd, you know what I?m not sure, I saw some performance test on youtube and I got to admit there were awesome but I can?t justified the cost. At the moment, My main concern is to get my build up and running and tweak it down the road, but you got me thinking about the ram, My first thought was 2x3 6Gb but the motherboard is AMD duel channel so my understanding that triple channel and that won?t work, please correct me if I?m wrong. The Administrator suggestion is the F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ plug and play. Again your suggestion is most welcome

Comment

Even if it says for Intel CPUs, it will still work on AMD platform. As for triple channel, an even number of sticks is recommended for AMD.

Comment

great thank you, I decided on the F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ I like the idea of just plug and play.

Comment

Working...
              X