• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing after upgrade

Model of Motherboard: SL6WJ - Intel Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
    Model of Memory: F1-3200PHU1-2GBNS
    Model of CPU: CN-OY1057 - Intel 865 Chipset

I recently decided to upgrade my RAM from 2x256 MB to the 2x1 GB listed above. My computer is a Dell Optiplex GX270. Yesterday, I popped the RAM in and booted up, a screen came up and notified me about the change in RAM. Once windows was started I checked and confirmed that the RAM is recognized. Everything is running very fast as well. The issue is that the system completely freezes on occasion. The first time I was reading a turtorial in the Cakewalk Sonar recording program and it just locked up, I was not recording nor have I set up to record yet. The second time it happened I was in add/remove programs and it froze while populating the list. The 3rd time was like the 1st. Both times while using Sonar I had my headphones on and there was an awful high pitched sound when it froze. But it does not happen all the time, I have read through other tutorials and used some of the Sonar featured and nothing happened. I have also tried running video and Sonar at the same time and it was fine. I left the system on last night all night and it was fine in the morning. The computer has not been used for about 2 years (until about 2-3 weeks ago). Prior to the upgrade everything was fine. I have removed almost all other programs so there is almost nothing running other than what I have disclosed. The computer has also not been connected to the internet for the past 2 years, could it be an upgrade issue? I hope this information is enough. Thank you so much for your help.

Try setting the memory voltage to 2.75V. The motherboard may be supplying slightly too low.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

How do I set the memory voltage? I was in my system BIOS and there was no option to change the memory voltage.

Thanks.

Comment

So I have been doing some experimenting. I have not been able to change the memory voltage as I do not think my system has that option. I have found that my old RAM still works fine and both 1GB new sticks work fine by themselves. They do not work when they are installed as a pair (The system locks up when I run a program/programs such as windows media player or SONAR). I did notice that the voltage is on the RAM slot and it is 2.5V. from what I have read, 2.6 vs 2.6 should not matter. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comment

The "NS" memory is on the higher end of the voltage, so it really needs around 2.75V.

You will want to exchange them for the G.Skill F1-3200PHU1-2GBNT, as these are on the lower end of the voltage, and should have no problems with 2.50-2.60V.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X