Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI + Rampage Extreme - hardly POSTs

model of the motherboard: Asus Rampage Extreme
    model of the memory: F3-12800CL7D-4GBPI (2x2Gb)
    model of the CPU: Intel C2D E8600

I purchased this kit of memory recently, to replace my Kingmax DDR3-1600 memory (2x1Gb) - thought it'd be nice with 4Gb instead.

Have had naught but problems since - on most occasions the system freezes on DET DRAM, sometimes a step further on CHECKCPU. Sometimes the POST screen shows and then it freezes with USB FINAL or INIT ROM displayed in the LCD. I've managed to get into BIOS a couple of times, have changed to all thinkable settings but the system remains highly unstable and freezes randomly.

I've tested with 1333 and 1600, rated timings on manual as well as XMP and also with AUTO settings. Increases voltages as suggested in some forum threads, tried with FSB strap and other settings. It's labile as can be.

Managed to get one stick into memtest at 1333 and it didn't give errors. Changed to rated timings and 1600 and it wouldn't pass POST. Back to 1333, memtest again -> seemed fine. Should add that it requires several attempts for it to pass POST and make it into memtest (running from CD). Added the other stick, made it into memtest after some attempts where system froze randomly, and got massive errors and then it froze. All attempts after and wouldn't come as far, freezes as indicated above during POST. Tried with only the other stick, made it into memtest once and got treated to a screen filled with coloured blocks and frozen system again.

Have tested all memory slots, same issue.

If I remember correctly I did manage to get memtest running on each stick (1 at a time) some days ago, and no errors were found then. If I recall correctly that was at 1333Mhz.

Am I suffering an unlucky combination of motherboard and memory, or is something wrong with the memory? I read in a forum topic dedicated to the Rampage Extreme that it was verified with this precise kit of memory. But I can't seem to get my gear to work at any setting, not even lower clock and with looser timings (tested with 9-9-9 as well).

I'm at a loss, running my KingMAX memory again as at least it's stable. I do not have access to another motherboard to see if I can get the memory working there, but as I can't really make it into memtest in a proper fashion I cannot really be sure that the memory is faulty either.

What do I do? Should I process an RMA and hope that I get a new kit and that it works? I don't dare sell the memory either, as it might be faulty.

I did run the memory at 1.9V and also tried 1.95V, in case the memory wasn't getting enough. PSU is a Be Quiet 1000W and apart from the system indicated above it's driving a 9800GX2 and some harddisks, so I reckon the PSU has enough cream in it, and then some.

Any suggestions for settings I should check? I could write down a list of things I tried, but from all I have found through google searches most people suffering instability can manage to get the memory to POST and boot the system properly and run memtest to check for errors and stability (or start windows and run tests there). But that's more than I can achieve.

Please let me know what more I can test and how to proceed, I'm really disappointed with my purchase and wondering if I'm doing something really wrong, or if there's simply a problem with this kit.

Best regards,
    Joris
    Sweden

I might add that on many occasions when I do manage to get into the BIOS, the system freezes while I'm making changes there. I've tried adjusting settings with the Kingmax installed as well, then swapping for the G.Skill - still no luck

Comment

we tested this combination and found no such issue
      please try to set the cpu ratio under 9
      it might be caused by cpu clock overclocked too high
      if it still can't work, please send back to us for RMA
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll make some test runs with lower clocks later tonight, when I'm back from work and the cinema

Should I keep similar settings for FSB (400) and FSB strap to CPU (400) so that I keep the memory at 1600Mhz, but lower the CPU speed to e.g. 3.2Ghz (multiplier 8) or 3.4 (x8.5) ? Or should I change FSB and FSB strap as well?

Best regards,
        Joris

Comment

you could keep FSB and FSB strap settings at DDR3 1600
          thanks

G.S

Comment

I've tested some more now, but it's still the same problem, whether i run FSB at 400 or 333, something in between or even higher - and with multiplier at 8 or 9 too.

With the KingMAX memory I found that with some settings the system incidentally crashes, but with the G.Skills I hardly make it past POST regardless of my settings. I'll process an RMA and hope to get another, working pair in return.

Thanks for the help so far!
            Best regards,
            Joris

Comment

sorry for the convenience....

G.S

Comment

No problem, **** happens.

I'll try and see if I can test the memory on another DDR 3 board as well, eliminate the possibility of my motherboard being the culprit.

Thanks!

Comment

I've managed to lay my hands on a Gigabyte GA-EX38T-DQ6 - it's lying awaiting pickup at the local post office, but unfortunately I got the flu so I won't be able to go get it before earliest tomorrow.

Will test the memory with that board to see how that works out - any idea of whether the memory has been tested/should work with the Gigabyte board(s)?

//Joris

Comment

Hi Joris,

I am using the same memory and have not experienced any problems

can you post all of your BIOS settings? I am running mine at 1600Mhz PL7 1T 7-7-7-18 at the moment

Try the following:

200 strap
                    delay 50ps on your allocated ram slots in your mobo
                    around 1.58-1.59 NB volt
                    1.31-1.32 FSB Term volt
                    1.51 CPU PLL
                    1.9 for DRAM volt

then manually input the timings

Comment

Hi there!

Thanks for the reply and suggestion - are those settings meant for the Rampage Extreme, or were you referring to the Gigabyte board (haven't picked it up yet).

I've tried some different voltages before, but I haven't done anything with those delay settings before, as I have no clue what they do

Best regards,
                      Joris

Comment

Hi

I use the Rampage Extreme

BIOS 0701

I run a Q9650 though @4.32Ghz so not a dual core....

Firstly try without the delays on the ram slots. Then if it is still unstable try them with it. I placed my sticks in the A2/B2 slots also as they are suppose to be the high speed slots (I dont think it made any difference but just my impressions)

The RAM is great once you get them stable they go pretty well about 11200 read and 10K+ write speeds

What worked for me is the 200 and 333 straps I dont remember if the 400 strap worked. Also I could use STRONGER setting for 333 strap but only LIGHTER for 200 strap. If I tried anything than LIGHTER on 200 strap the system would hardly POST or would freeze pretty much instantly just after boot

HTH
                        Last edited by kill_a_wat; 02-13-2009, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Testing with the GA-EX38T-DQ6 motherboard I find that one stick appears to be fine - it posts in stock and with XMP, running memtest doesn't reveal errors. But as soon as I replace the stick with the other one (or add the other one) the system starts rebooting in a loop, doesn't pass POST.

So I'm guessing that one stick is definately faulty. However I couldn't get the stick that seems to be fine now to work stable on the Asus motherboard either, so I'm wondering if the combination is doomed to fail regardless...

Anyway, will fill out an RMA form and return the memory, feeling rather certain now that at least one of the sticks is defective.

Cheers,
                          Joris

Comment

Sounds like they are faulty.

Here is a screenshot of the GSkill's running @1800Mhz
                            RAM settings:
                            Performance Level - 6
                            Dynamic Read and Write - Enabled
                            Timings - 8-8-8-20 1T

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4...l1800mhks9.jpg

These GSkills are great. They are so much easier to get stable than my Corsair Dominator 1800Mhz CL8 and so far have outperformed them at half the price
                            Last edited by kill_a_wat; 02-15-2009, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Nice results! I hope to be able to get them to work after RMA and see what I can get out of them as well So far though it's mostly trouble

Comment

Working...
                              X