Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-80000CL5D / Asus P5N32E-SLI / Intel Q6600

HI, i have a very weird and hard to track problem:

I got 4 sticks of the above mentioned memory. 3 sticks work perfectly, and 1 gives me errors in Vista memory tool (extended testing). It doesn't give me errors in memtest86 (latest version standard settings)

I've sent the stick back to where i bought it, they tested it in memtest (46 passes) no errors. Asked for them to test in vista's tool and they didn't get errors (not sure about what settings they used, i only get errors in extended).

It could be a problem with vista's tool, but when i use this stick, i get graphics card driver crashes (sic) and sometimes bluescreens with windows saying it's a memory related issue.

I tested the stick alone, in all 4 slots, i get crashes when using a pair of sticks (4gbs), and when i use another pair of 4 gb, don't get any crashes (BSODs or graphic driver crashes). I'm currently using auto settings (latest bios version 1701)

I've used pretty much all settings i could think of (DDR2 800 drequency with rated timings, voltage increases in all available motherboard settings) and i always get crashes and errors with the specific stick.

The problem is since the store i bought it from don't have the same issues, they are reluctant to (or probably will not) accept the RMA (bought them almost 3 months ago but have always had the same prob) also i'm from europe.

I'd appreciate any help

Also forgot to mention that the error in vista memory tool always takes place at about 88% or 89%

And when i start getting graphics driver crashes only a reboot fixes it or i'll get crashes like every 5 mins.

graphics card is an Nvidia 8800 GTS 320mb with latest WHQL driver but i also got the same prob (with that stick) with previous drivers versions

Also, i've gotten this problem with 2 slightly different Vista 64 ultimate versions (ie, i reformatted the pc and installed a newer available version instead of the OEM the PC came with). I'm also running all the latest vista updates
    Last edited by Orsan; 01-12-2009, 06:15 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

we do not recommend 4 sticks of memory on nvidia 650/680i chipset
      the memory controller has problem with 4 sticks
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Is that why a single stick alone gives errors in Vista memory tool? :S

Or why i get crashes while using that specific "pair" (ie two)?

Comment

you could try to install only one set of memory and set with our recommended setting
          we're not sure if Vista memory tool is accurate
          thanks

G.S

Comment

I've set that specific pair with recommended settings, and with DDR2 800 frequency and rated timings (5,5,5,12) and always get the same problems.

In auto settings, my pc worked for 3 weeks crash free with the other pair. With the specific pair, i got graphics driver crashes on second day (no BSODs yet).

EDIT:rated timing is 5,5,5,15 small mistake
            Last edited by Orsan; 01-13-2009, 03:21 AM. Reason: mistake in rated timing

Comment

if there is only one pair defective on your motherboard, it would be memory issue
              please RMA with your local reseller or directly to us
              thanks

G.S

Comment

It's not even the pair, it's only 1 module as i've tried mixing the working module with another from the other pair and it worked fine.

Will Gskill accept the RMA even if it's probably impossible to prove the stick has an issue (since memtest doesn't show any errors)?

Comment

surely it's acceptable
                  we'll test them with the similar environment as yours to find out the problem
                  thanks

G.S

Comment

Thank you very much.

I'll try to RMA it with my local reseller

Comment

Working...
                    X