F2-6400CL5D-2BNQ on Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5D-2BNQ on Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe

I have two 1G sticks of DDR2800 on my M2N32 with an amd Athlon 64 X2 6400+ processor, and I have had memory instability since I've gotten it. In the past it was tolerable, just the occasional crash while playing high end games, but recently I've been picking up 'Memory could not be "read" and blue screen errors very frequently and at irregular intervals.

I've performed Memtest on each stick individually, and the results are not consistent. They sometimes pass every test without flaw, sometimes get 50-500 errors, and sometimes even 100,000+ errors without any changes to BIOS settings.

I don't know whether to request an RMA or if there is something I need to change on the motherboard. Anyone familiar with the M2N32 will know that it has an absolutely insane number of options for memory tweaking alone, and I suspect that some of the Auto options are causing these problems. Unfortunately, most of these do not show what their Auto value is so I dare not to mess with them randomly.

I will now list all the values available on my mobo that deal with memory. Its DDR voltage is currently set at 1.9v.

MEM CLOCK Frequency = DDR2 800
    Tcl = 5
    Trcd = 5
    Trp = 5
    Tras = 15
    1T/2T Timing = 2T
    AI Clock Skew, Channel A = Advance 450ps (Auto)
    AI Clock Skew, Channel B = Advance 450ps (Auto)

Advanced Memory Timings

Trc = Auto
    Twr = Auto
    Trrd = Auto
    Trwt = Auto
    Twtr = Auto
    Trtp = Auto
    Twrrd = Auto
    Twrwr = Auto
    Trdrd = Auto
    Tref = Auto
    Trfc = Auto
    DRAM Termination = Auto
    Max Async Latency = Auto
    R/W Queue Bypass = Auto
    Dynamic Idle Cycle Counter = Auto
    Idle Cycle Limit = Auto
    DCQ Bypass Maximum = Auto
    DRAM Burst Length = Auto
    RdPadRcu FIFO Delay = Auto
    Disable Jitter = Auto
    DRAM Bank Interleaving = Enabled
    Bank Swizzle Mode = Enabled

DRAM Timing Control

CKE Fine Delay = Auto
    CKE Setup Time = Auto
    CS/ODT Fine Delay = Auto
    CS/ODT Setup Time = Auto
    Address/Command Fine Delay = Auto
    Address/Command Setup Time = Auto
    Read DQS Timing Control = Auto
    Write Data Timing Control = Auto
    DQS Receiver Enable Timing = Auto

Output Driver Control

CKE Drive Strength = Auto
    CS/ODT Drive Strength = Auto
    Add/CMD Drive Strength = Auto
    MEMCLK Drive Strength = Auto
    Data Drive Strength = Auto
    DQS Drive Strength = Auto
    DRAM Drivers Weak Mode = Auto

Going through all this has given me a headache, but can I get advice on which of these settings should I input a manual value to increase stability? Or should I go ahead with an RMA?

this memory should work fine with auto setting on this board
    would you like to test one stick at one time to check if there is one defective?
    thanks

G.S

Comment

I already have, and each stick seems to follow that same pattern of performing differently every time memtest is run, as though something changes every time my pc is restarted. This is why I suspect a setting more than the actual memory itself.

Currently what I have been doing is running my pc on one stick at a time until it acts up, which lasts a lot longer than having both sticks in. Then I switch the sticks, run memtest until it performs well, then boot normally.

Comment

Well, I've spent hours testing these sticks. The more I do, the more I'm convinced that I need to go through with an RMA.

Stick A seems to be the most random of the two, more often passing Memtest than B, but when it fails them, it fails them hard. It can amount thousands of errors on a single test.

Stick B is more consistent, but still has many errors. It very rarely passes Memtest, however, its number of errors is mostly in the 100-200 range.

Should I be more worried about A or B?

Gskill, is there anything I ought to test before I go through with an RMA?

Comment

we'd recommend you to send back both sticks
          we'll need to test both to check the problem
          thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
          X