Striker II Extreme Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striker II Extreme Problems

I have recently built a Q9550 2.83Ghz machine. It has an ASUS Striker II Extreme MB running their 1104 BIOS. I put 4 x 2GB sticks of G-Skill's DDR3-1333 RAM in it. I also have (2) 9800gt video cards in it running Dual-SLI. It also has a couple of hard drives running in RAID 0. Vista 64-bit with Ser Pack 1 installed. The motherboard has a stock cooling system on it, and I have (3) 120mm (i thnk) fans but no extensive cooling.

I have been getting intermittent hangs with any load usage at numerous different configs, but primarily no overclocking except to benchmark. (It scored above 18k on 3dMark). I memtested all 4 of the sticks and found 1 had 26 errors on it. However, I still cannot get it stable with 1, 2 or 3 sticks running. I have tried numerous timing settings, linked and unlinked. P's enabled and dis. I have tried a lot of different voltage settings, with no success. I have built computers before, but nothing this far above my rim.

Heat does not seem to be the prob. At load, on certain configs, the CPU ran at 54, but with no overclock, the CPU at load, runs between 45-48. MB consistently runs around 37. I am willing to get more cooling, but feel that it should at least run stable with no overclock right now, even if a little warm. I can pull the RAM out immediately after power down and put them on my face, they are slightly warmer than body temp, less than 40 for sure.

I have seen that others are having similar problems with this board's stability (or maybe user ignorance), but have not seen anything exactly like my config. I am hoping there is a "secret spot" between timings and voltages that I have missed in tweaking the BIOS and do not have to RMA the board. The damn thing had a rebate that expired 14 days from invoice and the UPC was accidentally sent in before I got the system stable. You know how this story is unfolding right now, I bet.

I think Newegg is selling a lot of these boards. They have it Red-bannered as a 2008 Tom's Hardware award winner. It will prolly be saving a lot more people than me if anyone could help me find El Dorado on this damn thing. Thanks!!!

not-so-sunny-right-now-steve

could you tell us the exact model name?
    and please try to only install 2 sticks to run
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Model numbers

The MB is an Nvidia chipset 790i. I am running the video cards in SLI not Crossfire. The model of the RAM is: F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 2Gb SPD CL 9-9-9-24 1.5-1.6V.

I currently have all 3 of the good sticks in and the current BIOS settings are keeping it more stable than any others I have tried. I currently have both P's enabled UNLINKED FSB at 1333. Vcore of 1.25 Mem 1.76V NB 1.52 SB 1.55V CPU VTT 1.28V CPU PLL 1.58V. It has crashed twice in the last 24 hours which is the best I have been able to get it so far. I would be happy to post the other memory timings if it holds this stability a bit more. I know I currently have it in 2T.

I will pull 1 of the RAM sticks on the next hang. It does not seem to mind 3 RAM sticks in versus 2 or 1. I would like to get all 4 filled for 8GB total.

Telling me to pull out a stick is really not the solution I was looking for. I am willing to do that to try and get it stable once I get a bit more info from you about what settings will work. I have seen in this forum G-skill tell others that this board will work with 8GB of the 1333 G-skill RAM. That's what I want it to do.
      STEVE

Comment

it actually is able to run DDR3 1333 CL9 with total 4 sticks, but it doesn't mean any two sets could run together without any issue on every motherboard
        that's why we only guaranteed for 2 sticks in dual channel
        however, if there is problem with one stick, it would be more possible to be defective
        running with 4 sticks, we'd recommend you to add CPU VTT voltage to at least 1.4v to make it stable
        thanks

G.S

Comment

Striker II extreme

I also have a Asus Striker II extreme motherboard with one 9800 GT, running G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-14400CL8D-2GBPI
          I have been getting lock ups. I sent the MB back to Asus and graphics card back to BFG.
          Both RMAed parts a number of time, they also tested the parts. It is coming down to a memory issue.
          Does Gskill have a fix for lock ups on the Asus striker II extreme.
          What specification should I set to memory to in my BIOS?

Comment

Sunnysteve:
            Might want to try tRFC at 54 or 56 (possibly higher, if so in 2 number increments)

NYKilljoy,
            Your RAM speed is considered as OCed by ASUS, which makes the speed very iffy for long term or day to day use. You might consider relaxing the timings and/or as suggested to Sunnysteve, kick up the tRFC to at least 54.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by NYKILLJOY View Post
              I also have a Asus Striker II extreme motherboard with one 9800 GT, running G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-14400CL8D-2GBPI
              I have been getting lock ups. I sent the MB back to Asus and graphics card back to BFG.
              Both RMAed parts a number of time, they also tested the parts. It is coming down to a memory issue.
              Does Gskill have a fix for lock ups on the Asus striker II extreme.
              What specification should I set to memory to in my BIOS?
              we tested this combination and didn't find problems
              would you like to increase the CPU VTT voltage to 1.4-1.5v and run it with unlinked mode?
              We thought it would help you solve the issue
              thanks

G.S

Comment

Need more memory

Did under clock the MB...still getting lock ups once in awhile.. I just loaded 64 bit Vista.. I want to increase the amount of memory I have... I want to stay with what I am using... I need two, two gig sticks... Can you give some suggestions since I can not find two gig sticks of the models I have now...

Comment

Might try their newer BIOS, 1203, dated 7/27/2009, it specifically addresses stabilizing 'certain' RAM (which probably applies to all 1333 and above sticks), can be found here

http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_I...specifications

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Since we no longer produce DDR3-1800, you will need to purchase a DDR3-1600 memory package. Here are the packages we have available:
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231259

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231193

Either one should work fine, but you would need to overclock if you would like to run over DDR3-1600.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                    X