F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK - Asus P5Q pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK - Asus P5Q pro

I just bought two of these kits (F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK) from newegg. Windows Vista x64 would not boot so I tried memtest and it looks like one stick is bad. I can run three of the good sticks for a few hours without errors in memtest. But one of them keeps producing errors.

I took the bad stick out and Vista still will not boot. I guess I need some special settings but I have no clue what to set them too. This ram is qualified to work with my mobo according to G.Skill website and Asus website.

I've tried changing the Voltage to 2.0 and 2.1 but that did not help at all. I also tried changing the timings to 4-4-4-12. But that didn't help either. I wish the ram just worked after putting them in but I'll take whatever I can get at this point, is there any special settings I need to get these working?

Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
    CPU: Intel Core2 Q9550
    Last edited by cess; 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM.

Well it looks like two sticks were bad not just one. One of them causes problems in Vista but doesn't cause any errors in memtest although I didn't try it for a very long time. Hopefully when I get these two exchanged all four will work correctly...

Comment

does one kit work well?
      running with 4 sticks would be more difficult than only 2 sticks, you may need to add FSB voltage to increase the stability
      thanks

G.S

Comment

Yes, one kit seems to work fine. Out of the four sticks one does get errors in memtest. There's another stick I'm not sure about so I'm sending that one back to newegg too, sense I have to send two sticks back anyway.

I noticed the only setting that works for DRAM voltage is 2.0. Auto setting and 2.1 don't seem to work(Vista boot freezes). When I get the other two sticks back I'll try bumping up the FSB voltage if the system won't boot. Although it should work with four, I bought the memory because it's listed in the Asus manual for working with one, two or four sticks.

Thanks.
        Last edited by cess; 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

ok

but we still have to explain that not every 2 sets could run together without problem
          that's also why we have some model for 4 sticks pack
          thanks

G.S

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. "I think" it's working alright now with four sticks from bumping the FSB voltage. I noticed the bios states the "auto" setting drops the FSB termination voltage from 1.20 to 1.10 if you have a 45nm CPU. So I'm assuming that's why this ram won't boot on auto, because I have a 45nm CPU. Asus must have tested it with a 65nm CPU which would make the auto FSB termination voltage setting 1.20.

I currently have the FSB voltage at 1.16, is there someway I can find out what the max FSB Voltage is for my cpu (q9550)? If you don't know I'm sure I can find it somewhere else.

Thanks

Comment

usually we would add it to 1.4-1.5v at most
              thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
              X