• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP issue with 2x2GB DDR2 800 shows less than 4GB

I just put together a new PC with the below "stuff"

EVGA 780i SLI MB
    Intel Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4Ghz
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

During the POST, the memory is counted correctly and shows all 4GB. After Windows is booted up and I go into the Control Panel under System Properties, it only shows 2.75GB. Also, when I rub 3DMark06, it also shows only 2.75GB.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on?

missing memory

32 bit operating system can only handle a maximum of 3.25gb if you go to a 64bit OS it will show all the memory

Comment

Originally posted by smiley1956 View Post
      32 bit operating system can only handle a maximum of 3.25gb if you go to a 64bit OS it will show all the memory
      thanks for smiley1956

there is memory limitation with 32 bit OS when you install 4 GB memory
      you'll only get at most 3.5GB ram to use in system
      to totally solve this problem, you'll have to use 64bit OS
      here is a PDF file from HP which would explain the situation clearly

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/down...ows_08Ap07.pdf

G.S

Comment

Hi

If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
        - Motherboards resources
        - Memory mapped I/O
        - configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
        - Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size.
        e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

On a SLI system, since PCI-Ex graphic cards will occupy around 256MB, another 256MB will be occupied after you install a 2nd PCI-Ex graphic card. Hence, 2.75GB memory left only if two SLI cards installed on SLi motherboard while 3.0GB memory left with one graphic card without other add-on devices.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP 32-bit version operating system.

If you install Windows XP 32-bit version operating system, we recommend that you install less than 3GB of total memory. If more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then below two conditions must be met:
        1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, and AMD K8 CPU architecture can support the memory swap function.
        2. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit) or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

Comment

You can hack up a copy 2003 server enterprise edition to use as a workstation...I only recommend this if your have a MSDN subscription. That is the only 32 bit Windows I know that will do over 3.5GB...

Comment

Working...
          X