G.Skill Falcon II 128GB - PC Freezes / Pauses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Falcon II 128GB - PC Freezes / Pauses

I have this drive installed as my OS with Win 7. MB is Asus P5E. Have experienced the following so far:

1. First setup a clean install of Win 7 and using AHCI mode. Install went fine and all but that night put the computer to sleep and in the moring it had corrupted the OS.

2. Did another clean install of Win 7 and this time tried IDE mode. All has been well so far (have not been game enough to try to sleep again and instead turn fully off as desired) except when I leave the computer for a while without input. I have high performance mode set with no power offs at all (i.e. hard disk = always on along with everything else) yet, for example, if i turn the monitor off and leave the computer idle for some time then when i return the pc is frozen for 30 seconds or so. The mouse cursor can be moved on screen but no input is valid and the same with the keyboard (no input valid)... after about 30 seconds the computer will respond normally again (respoding to the last input from mouse or keyboard).

This appears to be something to do with the SSD drive as with a normal sata drive response is instant always.

Anyone have any ideas why this happens or how to fix it?

Are there any general issues using SSD's and sleep mode?

Lastly one other strange thing I have noticed and only when the SSD drive is used as the main OS is when browsing (windows picture viewer) many pictures on a second sata drive there are long pauses often between clicking next... this also only happens when using the SSD as the OS drive... with 2 sata drives everything is smooth and instantly responsive.

i have had similar problems with my 128 GB SSD drives.

mine just act like they are sleeping for about 15-20 seconds and finally they, or one, comes alive...it is really annoying!

i recently updated my board bios [EVGA X58 (760 model)] and there is NO change!

it must be the onboard SSD drive controller going into a power-down mode..it is the only thing that i can think of!

Comment

Well I recently updated my system (i7 + P6X58D) and still the same issue with a pause anywhere from few seconds to 60 seconds only after not using the pc for a while (monitor manually switched off) and all other power saving features turned off (always on PC parts etc).

It appears the longer i do not use the oc the longer the sleepy pause on returning. For example after an hour or so the return pause is not so long before it responds but overnight it seems to take much longer before it responds.

Mouse moves around screen fine but nothing responds for a while. I generally now just hit control alt delete and wait for the task manager to show hence knowing its come alive again and ready for some action.

Very annoying indeed. Would be quicker to turn off and startup fresh than just turn the monitor off which is crazy.

Comment

i hit the "ESC" key many times and then wait for about 10-15 seconds.

did you do another trim?...i am thinking about doing another one after i back up my latest install..BTW, i am using Vista Ultimate with SP2 installed.

Comment

Have not done a manual trim ever. Running windows 7 and in theory TRIM should be operating by itself with the Falcom II firmware.... although I am running the drive in IDE mode still so a bit confused by the various statements if TRIM works automatically ONLY under AHCI mode or in both AHCI and IDE??? Have read many end users say AHCI only but have yet to find a manufacturer of any SSD drive that can clearly state the facts about TRIm - Windows 7 and modes supported?

In any event it really should not be occuring as there are no moving parts (its digital) so nothing to park or sleep if not set so. It should respond more rapidly at all times than a regualr HDD so what gives? Is this just a G.Skill drive problem or common SSD / MB / Bios / Controller or other related problem.

Its odd that there are not many comments to be found on this pause effect after idle without user input for a period. Can't be isolated to just you and I and if it is then it must be either a faulty drive or combination of other factors / software and /or setups. I foubt faulty only because in all other scenarios its just fine. Hardware I doubt also as now its been in 2 completely different machines (2 year old one and latest greatest). Leads me to software or setup related... wheres the switch to make it stop???

Comment

trim is supposed to speed it up or put it back to original state...i also don't understand the 'trim' command as to what it really does...i guess i could do an internet search or search this website to see if 'techie' has put some information out on the subject.

i just completed my 'trim' yesterday and SO FAR, not a hiccup or pause...i won't really know until a few days more have passed...do you let your computer 'sleep' or do you just shut it down?...i let mine sleep so i don't have to do the power up each day, or, multiples times a day.

Comment

here is a nice Q & A article about the TRIM command for SSD's.

Comment

Originally posted by EzDingo View Post
                Have not done a manual trim ever. Running windows 7 and in theory TRIM should be operating by itself with the Falcom II firmware.... although I am running the drive in IDE mode still so a bit confused by the various statements if TRIM works automatically ONLY under AHCI mode or in both AHCI and IDE??? Have read many end users say AHCI only but have yet to find a manufacturer of any SSD drive that can clearly state the facts about TRIm - Windows 7 and modes supported?
                TRIM works on either AHCI mode or IDE, it doesn't matter.

Comment

@ Sc4Freak: do you have a reference for that statement?

Comment

since doing a TRIM on my two 128g SSD's, i have had no stutters in accessing the drive...been running smooth.

1.) i deleted the two partitions on the two SSD drives and then booted into another operating system on a separate sata drive.

2.) i ran the trim command successfully on both SSD drives.

3.) i then did a full windows format on both SSD drives.

4.) i recovered my previous backup using acronis 9.0

so far, everything is normal. (thumbs-up)

Comment

i also forgot to mention this..after doing a TRIM command, the program leaves a Indilinx.DAT file on each drive.

before i recovered my OS using Acronis 9.0, i made a copy of the DAT file for both 128g SSD drives..once the recovery was finished, i re-inserted the DAT file on the front partition (dual booting on one SSD 128G drive)...i have XP 64 bit on the front and Vista 64 bit right behind the XP 64 bit partition.

again, no hesitation or stoppage.

Comment

Update

Interesting... When i reinstalled windows on the new box the problem 'seemed' to dissapear but returned and started again days later... interested to know if you start to experience the symptoms again...

I found a workaround to the problem:

If I 'lock' the pc first instead of just turning off the monitor when not in use, then on return unlocking is instant with no 'pause' problems.

What I now do not understand is what is going on different when the pc is locked vs left unlpocked when idle. I know when locked any background processes are still running such as downloads, media streaming, sharing etc, etc so what magical thing is happening differently? Anyone know something more?

Comment

well, my hesitancy is back...the only thing i can do to get it out of it, other than sitting and waiting, i do an ALT-Ctrl-Del (vista) and then i go back to the desktop and everything is KOSHER!

Comment

hello,

i am using firmware 1881 and I have also "freezes" during windows 7... moving windows arround and starting games "freeze" for 5 seconds.

disable writecache doesn't help.

which firmware is the best?

Comment

is everyone, whom are experiencing delay or hesitancy issues, using only one SSD?

the reason i ask..i had two 128g Falcon drives attached to my ICHR10 intel controller..in that configuration, i had the hesitancy issue..since removing one SSD...SO FAR...knock on wood (wink), no hesitance, pause or freeze...probably that is not the difference since most of you guys probably bought only one SSD drive.

also, i presume everyone has the hard disk set, in the "Power Options" of the Control Panel, to "NEVER" for "Turn Off The Hard Disk After"...this setting is under the 'Advanced Power Settings'.

the next time it happens again, i will post back here.

Comment

Working...
                              X