Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK Does not run at 1066mhz FOXCONN P45A-S

By: Andrew, 8/11/2008 8:52:39 AM Does not run at 1066mhz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros: Good 800mhz RAM

Cons: Cant get this memory to run at 1066mhz like it is supposed to. I have tried upping the voltage to 2.1 but still get BSOD. Its pretty sad when you cant even run stock speeds.

Other Thoughts: Foxconn P45A-S Intel Q6600

if you have any update please post here

we ordered it from newegg yesterda, should arrive in our lab tomorrow or monday. we will keep you update

Comment

We test P45A-S today. Initial test post DDR2 800 and there is no DDR2 1066 option. We increase FSB to 350. After save, motherboard cannot boot up just like your case. We clear the cmos, remove the battery, motherboard will not post again. we are not sure is motherboard died or not but we will give it a try again next week Monday. We will also contact Foxconn to see what is going on.

Comment

Same problem

I also have 8gig's of this memory and have the same problem. I can't get stable at stock clock speed at 1066. Have tried it in 2 boards and same problem in both.
        Thanks Barry

PS: Tried in DFI Lanparty UT 790fx m2r This memory was recomended by DFI for this board.
        Trying it in a brand new Foxconn A79A-S now, same problem. Runs great at 800mhz in both boards. Phenom 9500 and 9850BE processors used.
        Last edited by Barryu; 08-17-2008, 06:10 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

in fact, i don't recommend to run 4 sticks on AMD system because the memory controller.
          AMD CPU has much more problem with 4 sticks memory back to DDR400. suggest 2 DIMM only.

Foxconn P45A-S motherboard is surely died now. we are going to RMA it back to Foxconn and will keep everyone update

Comment

I have this mobo, but I have GSkill pc2-8000 RAM, and to get my RAM to 1000MHz I need the command rate at 2T...and this mobo doesn't do 2T, period. I asked Foxconn tech support and they said it isn't a full feature board...you can't set the command rate. So maybe this is the problem with your RAM? So now i'm stuck with 800MHz @ 4-4-4-12. I can't complain though, spins like a top.

Comment

I got it to work!

I have this setup and got it to work.

You have to update the BIOS (running P05). Then the speed becomes an option in BIOS. Pick 1066 set the timings to "Auto". Boots into *Vista 64* and shows 1066 *without overclocking*.

1066 may not be supported by XP Pro. I still haven't gotten it to work. And actually it froze on boot with those settings until I booted with safe mode and then rebooted normally. Now it boots fine into XP but still shows 800 speed.

And I swear I tried using these settings on Vista 32 as well with no luck. I am not 1005 sure I had the correct settings so you may want to retry vista 32. But I am thinking it is probably XP Pro. My next experiment is to just start over installing XP Pro with the correct 1066 settings.

Really it seems like a strange thing to want but since I live in FLorida in a hot room I wanted to see what the fastest settings that could be obtained *without* dropping the ratio to 1:1 and then overclocking.

Q9450, Foxconn P45A-S, 8 gigs of that 1066 blue stuff
              Last edited by _Key_; 09-25-2008, 09:21 PM. Reason: adding specs

Comment

Did some stability tests in Vista 64. Mainly because every program I see says it is at 1.9v. And it boots to 1065 when the setting in BIOS is 1067. All I did was turn up the memory 1 MhZ in foxone and then both the ram and the CPU were running at the correct (stock) speed.

First I ran every program I could think of at the same time to see if I could get some lag. I set Photoshop to batch encode a ton of huge files, set winrar to compress a huge uncompressable file, opened up Opera browser with like 100 tabs and started opening as many as I could, set foobar to playback a surround sound file and compress one to wavpack at the same time. All of this at the same time and it still showed no lag. So I was happy with that.

Then I ran memtest86+-2.01. To make sure there weren't any silent errors.
                Passed all the tests.

I know it says you should run at 2-2.1v but it seems rocksolid at 1.9/1066 so I don't think I am going to up it.

Just got done reistalling XP Pro and now it boots and shows 1065 just like Vista 64. I guess it just doesn't like the changing of the speed from 800 more than the actually running of the speed? Or possibly just the BIOS change? Anyway I say the ram/motherboard combo works fine in DDR2 1066. Vista 64 SP1 seems to adapt to the change better than XP SP3 though.

Comment

I got rid of the speed sag. If you disable the automatic timings on the ram and then just leave the default latency timings that are entered the speed sag goes away.

I tried to overclock though and yeah you seem to hit a ceiling when you hit 800Mhz with the ram. I kept the same timings that I used for 1066 but it would only go up to like 810 before crashing. I upped the northbridge a little and upped the ram voltage a little and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I think it may some weird setting that I don't have access to - like switching from T1 to T2.

Note I did all of this mostly using the fox one software and not the BIOS. It's possible that if you set it in BIOS it will automatically get T2 to work as opposed to the method I am using which is booting in one mode and then trying to change after boot.

So anyway at this point the ram seems to be limiting the overclocking on this board to 400 x 8 with ram @ 800. At least until it can be deduced what exactly is causing it to stop at that speed.

Comment

Okay this is hopefully my last post. I double checked all the default timings and "timings by speed" with Memset. The boards settings for the ram are just wrong for the most part. The only setting that seems to be correct are the timings for 800MHz and even that one is off 1 or 2 notches in a couple of places. Also jman and I were wrong about the 2T command rate setting - The board seems to be locked into 2T command rate for all of the different ram settings not 1T. The setting that seems to be keeping it from overclocking is the Refresh Period. The Refresh Period is set tighter and tighter as you down the speed. Once I loosened to Refresh Period to like 8704T or higher in memset it overclocks like it should.

I got the ram up pretty high overclocking in 1066 mode after I entered the correct timings and loosened the Refresh Period. Got it up to like 1111 and it seemed stable but a little higher than that and it BSODed.

I pulled the correct timings from Everest and Memset. They are in the same format as the BIOS to
                    make things easy.
                    -----Jedec # 2------------Jedec # 1-----------Jedec # 0-----------EPP---------
                    ---------200-----------------266------------------400--------------533---------
                    tCL-------3--------------------4--------------------5----------------5-----------
                    tRAS------8-------------------10-------------------15---------------15----------
                    tRP-------3--------------------4--------------------5----------------5-----------
                    tRCD------3------------------- 4--------------------5----------------5-----------
                    tWR------3--------------------4--------------------6----------------13-----------
                    tRFC-----26-------------------34-------------------51---------------68-----------
                    tWTR-----2--------------------2--------------------3----------------4-----------
                    tRRD------2--------------------2--------------------3----------------4-----------
                    tRTP------2--------------------2--------------------3----------------4-----------
                    Voltage--1.8------------------1.8------------------1.8---------------2.1----------

In conclusion. For normal operation I would manually enter those settings into the BIOS because "timing by speed" (auto) and the default entries are *only* for running the ram at 800MHz. Even at that speed I would recomend you turn off timing by speed.

For overclocking I would recomend you use a ram tweaking program like Memset. Mainly because the BIOS does not give you access to certain settings - Refresh Period.

One thing I am not clear on is if I should turn off "Spread Spectrum" during 1066 use. The BIOS says that the setting can reduce EMI but to turn it off if you are overclocking. Technically is setting your ram to 1066 overclocking? Or is the spread spectrum only for CPUs? Anyway I think I'm done messing with my memory for now.

Comment

Working...
                    X