Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX on DFI mobo

Hello,

I have an Opteron 170 on a DFI UT LanParty CFX3200 DR and 2 x F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX for a total of 4 GB of memory. I purchased them a year and a half ago, first one of my kits was faulty so I RMA it, then everything was OK according to memtest+, however when I got my full 4 GB running on my board my machine became extremely unstable. Since then I am trying to find the corrent settings for this memory and this mobo so they can run both 1:1 and stable.

Could someone please tell me what are the correct memory timings for this chips. I do not want to overclock it, just to run it stable at 400 mhz.

Some other info: Currently the machine is kind of stable under Windows 7, but I'm not really familiar with windows so I don't know how to put it under stress. However I'm a linux administrator and I run linux on my workstation, which is the OS that is crashing all the time, random kernel panics, aborts during compile. First of all I thought it was the Nvidia drivers, I changed to ATI, then I thought it was the ATI proprietary drivers, so I switched to the opensource driver, I even ran the machine just in a console without doing anything and it still crashes after few hours (max a day if in console). I thought it is the PSU, so I changed with an Enermax one 465W. But the errors I see during compilation time and the random kernel crashes all point in RAM direction, so I think I haven't setup the machine correctly.

Here is a link to pastebin with my CPU-Z data:

http://pastebin.com/f61d8a3c8

amd cpu cant run 4 sticks of ddr400 and should automatically switch to 333mhz
    but i dont think DFI's let the cpu do that.
    you have to set it up manualy
    try 2-3-2-5 2T 400mhz 2.6V
    or 2-3-2-5 1T 333mhz 2.6V

the nf4 sli venus is the only s939 board that will run 4 sticks at 400mhz 1T

Comment

because of AMD K8 CPU limitation, you could only run DDR333 while runnig with 4 sticks
      thanks

G.S

Comment

i am currently running it under 1:1 (ddr400) with manual setup of the dfi mobo, as it is probably seen in the cpu-z. the machine is solid under windows 7, only under linux it is awful, but I'm used to that already (the machine has an uptime of 1 day already under linux , and I think it is time for a random lock up or restart).

I'm planning on buying a new workstation with phenom II for my linux box, however i'm thinking of ddr3 ECC ram this time, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

OK, followed the advice, and set up the memory to auto, now running on 333 and everything seems stable. I have a question though. What if I decide to overclock the CPU, should I make sure the memory is running at most @ 333 Mhz, or should I just keep the ratio Memory:FSB as it is now?

Comment

1:1 DRAM:FSB is best, but overclocking the CPU would surely make up for any loss in speed. I would suggest using a benchmark program to see which is faster for you and stick to that.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
            X