SSD buy or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD buy or not?

Big questions arises, to buy or not to buy the question is now ?
    All I read about SSD are problems, problems and more problems, not just G.Skill models but any SSD, I didn't yet find good evidence to go with SSD.
    There so many discussions, so many people having problems... its scary
    why is this technology so problematic, it's not like its available since last week...

Are there any happy customers out there ? what would you recommend to buy ?
    I would need 128 GB and I'm planing to have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Originally posted by nine9 View Post
    All I read about SSD are problems, problems and more problems, not just G.Skill models but any SSD, I didn't yet find good evidence to go with SSD.
    why is this technology so problematic, it's not like its available since last week...

I have a 64 GB G.SKILL Falcon that came with firmware 1571 (and I still have 1571 on it). I have had it since early August, and it's my main drive. I run Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (retail) on it and I have absolutely no problems whatsoever (except for the ones I cause). Seriously: I couldn't be happier with this SSD.

The rest of my relevant specifications are:

Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI (S/N: 122-CK-NF68)
    Memory: mushkin kit # 996580 (it's a Newegg link to show specifications)
    Drivers: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers area of the Device Manager).

I'm trying to think of other relevant specifications, but I can't right now. Well, actually I suppose the following can be related to any problems that I would encounter: my CPU is heavily overclocked from 3.0 GHz to 4.0 GHz (it's an E8400, E0 Stepping), my memory is at the stock memory clock of 800 MHz, but the timing is 5-5-5-18-1T. I'm using 1T instead of 2T for the increased speed that I get with the nForce 680i SLI chipset.

Anyway, I'm not having any problems whatsoever. I think these other people might be having problems with SSDs that either have the older controllers and have NAND flash that doesn't last very long, or they're not using Windows 7. And if they're not using Windows 7, then they probably don't know what they're doing since after all, they are having problems.

But mostly, I think the reason why it seems like everyone is having problems is because those who aren't having problems are far less likely to post anything on the internet about it.

So there you have it. That's my answer, and it's a very enthusiastic "yes, you should buy one!". But before you do, do as much research as you can. Find out everything you can as it relates to SSDs. After all, these are quite different from hard drives. But at least you're going to have Windows 7, and that's a great thing since Windows 7 natively supports SSDs.

Comment

Which SSD is best from G.Skill ? Falcon II should be latest version ? but from specification that doesn't seem to be true... what is best ? and need 128GB size
      Last edited by nine9; 12-03-2009, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Which SSD is best from G.Skill ? Falcon II should be latest version ? but from specification that doesn't seem to be true... what is best ? and need 128GG size
        Hmm. From what I've seen on this message board, I would say that the Falcon I is the better one - that is, if it has firmware version 1571. But the only way to know that is to check it once you get it. Checking it is really easy though.

However, I only have experience with the Falcon I (which is what I have, even though it came out well before the Falcon II), so I am not entirely sure. However, I will say that I'm 100% happy with it.

Comment

I had a pair of falcon 1's with the early firmware that I rma'd.
          The replacement drives are 1571, and appear to work just fine.

I think it's one of those things - the early firmware wasn't right, probably overwhelming them with customer issues.

Even still - you can't find anything faster than an SSD.

Comment

Check out my G Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD review: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=832874

Comment

hi, i have brought a G>SKILL 64GB falcon II 3 weeks ago & love it, it comes with the latest firmware 1819, i followed all the tweaks in this forum & i am running it in AHCI, i have an amd 3.0ghz, msi K9A2 Platinum 790FX, 4890x2, 8GB ddr2 ram, windows 7 ultra also have a samsung F3 1TB HDD as my second drive, get one you wont be disappointed

Comment

the 64 gb might be ok but the 128 gb has problems with the uncommanded sleep issue for 15-20 seconds...nothing will work until this time has passed.

Comment

I also would go with the Falcon I because of the slightly higher performance (although I don't know if you can find an older Falcon I for sale anymore)...but basically they perform at similar levels...the Falcon II runs at the same speed as the Falcon I would if it had the 1819 firmware on it...I prefer the Falcon I with FW 1571 (AHCI) as it offers me the best performance at nearly its max rated specs

only thing I do is run the Wiper tool every week or so if I notice my benchmark numbers going down...I just ran Wiper a few minutes ago and it restored my performance back up again (so it works as it should)...I don't mind running Wiper as opposed to automatic TRIM (FW 1819) as it only takes a few seconds and I get better performance

Comment

Working...
                  X