F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK won't run dual channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK won't run dual channel

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a Phenom 9600 on an MSI DKA790GX Platinum board using 2 sticks of G.Skill F2-8500CL5D memory. This setup ran totally stable for over a month with the processor at 2400mhz and the memory at 1066mhz, dual channel, unganged with interleave on, 5-5-5-15 at 2.10 volts. Then, last week on returning from S3 sleep, the system did a hard crash to the point where I had to clear CMOS in the BIOS to get it to run again. After the crash, when I would boot into Vista within a few seconds it would blue screen. I relaxed timings on the memory, lowered speed to 800mhz, and still blue screens on every Vista boot. When I dropped the speed to 667mhz, I was able to load Vista, but when I ran memtest I would get errors within 30 seconds.. I finally tried putting the memory into the slots to run single channel mode and everything worked and at the proper speeds and timings. I'm sure its not the memory as I tried a different brand with the same results, but I thought you guys being experts on memory here might have an idea what is going on as I haven't had a reply yet on this from MSI support. Did the crash damage the memory controller on the processor or is it possible something is wrong with the northbridge chipset on the board? I'm leaning toward it being the processor, but don't really want to start replacing parts if there is anything else I could do to solve this first. Any advice would be appreciated.

please try to use different slots and make sure the slots are clean
    and the memory controller is in AM2 CPU, so it should not be related much to the northbridge
    so it is possible to have problem with your AM2 CPU or your memory slots
    hope it helps

G.S

Comment

Thanks for your response. MSI finally did respond and after trying the memory in every possible configuration and using a new beta bios, it appears it's a problem with the 2nd and 4th memory slots.

Comment

thanks for the update

G.S

Comment

Working...
        X