Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ - instability w/ Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Hi,

I have a very strange problem that's occurred since I bought this RAM and mobo a year ago:

The system is completely unstable when trying to run anything other than the "Auto" memory or CPU options. Even just setting them manually to the same default numbers the Auto is putting in (looking at them with CPU-Z or Memset) causes the system to either fail at the POST screen or create strange errors when trying to boot Windows (hal.dll etc). As soon as I set everything back to Auto, it's fine.

Setting the FSB Frequency from Auto to Manual results in the board failing to POST and setting it back to Auto by itself. I'm not even trying to overclock, it's just stock speeds. It works on Auto, but Manual set to 266MHz won't even POST.

Is there some sort of known incompatibility with this RAM and mobo that causes this kind of stuff?

System specs:
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6, BIOS F8
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    RAM: G.Skill F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ 4GB
    Video: Visiontek Radeon 4870 512MB
    PSU: Corsair 620HX

Thanks,
    Ryan

to run DDR2 1000, you'll need to add memory voltage to 2.1v(+0.3v)
    and according to JEDEC, our SPD value is up to DDR2 800, so you'll need to set it manually in BIOS
    if it still can't boot after clearing CMOS, please RMA with us
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Hi,

I'm not even trying to run DDR2 1000 - I get this problem even way down at 533Mhz. (which is 1:1 with the Q6600 at stock speed). As soon as I take the FSB speed off Auto or I set the System Memory Multiplier to anything but Auto, it gets very unstable and gives me reboots, Windows failure to boot etc. I've already RMA'ed once, so I don't really think it's that.

What should be the optimal memory speed for me with the Q6600 at stock speed (266MHz FSB)?

Thanks!
      Last edited by Tabs; 11-01-2008, 02:19 AM.

Comment

we tested this combination and found no compatible issue
        for the correct setting, please refer to this document
        http://www.gskill.us/145.pdf

and for CPU with FSB 266, you could run DDR2 533/667/800/1066 with different FSB/DRAM frequency ratio

G.S

Comment

Working...
        X