GA-P35-DS3L vs GSKILL-8500CL5d-4GBPK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P35-DS3L vs GSKILL-8500CL5d-4GBPK

I'm having some heat related problems with my system. I've got 2 sets of the ram (ordered 4 months apart).

The ram fits pretty close together, and running test 5 in memtest86+ I was getting lots of errors, and noticed the heat spreaders got VERY warm. (could only hold finger on a couple seconds.)

So I put in a fan to blow air directly on the ram. This has helped quite a bit, but out of 32 passes of test 5, I still got 4 errors (2 on pass 19, 2 on pass 21).

I would seem to have solved the problems except one thing. I updated the bios on the MB to the latest, and now the cpu fan spins fast all the time (wind tunnel). The good test I just mentioned was with the fan on high. After changing the bios settings to use voltage for the fan speed (zalman 9700 copper 3 pin), the fan went slow, but I get errors on almost every pass of test 5.

I have bumped the NB, FSB voltages up by .1v, and the memory voltage up by .3v (should be 2.1v now).

Upon rebooting, the cpu temp doesn't seem out of whack (don't recall exact numbers right now), but I can see that still may be the problem.

Another note: I've not had any problems with games or general use. This all came about due to the latest WoW patch. One of the suggestions was bad ram. I've removed half the ram, etc...(still can't patch) I can copy the game from my gf's computer and play it, but patching doesn't work.

Suggestions?

System:
    e8400 3.0 dual core
    Zalman CNPS 9700 (3-wire) (considering getting 4 wire fan for speed control)
    GA-P35-DS3L
    4x2GB 8500CL5d
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX(G92)
    Antec P182 case
    Samsung 750GB HD
    OCZ Gamestream OCZ700GSXSLI
    Vista-64 Business

is your CPU overclocked?
    if so, how much CPU FSB you are running?
    and try to add FSB voltage +0.2-0.3v

G.S

Comment

After more checking, it seems the heatsink on the northbridge is getting too warm if the cpu fan is running low speed. High speed entrains enough air to cool the northbridge heatsink, but low just doesn't move enough air.

Think I'll have to put a fan on the northbridge or replace it with a small chipset heatpipe setup.

No overclocking on the system at all.

Comment

then try to add a small fan on the northbridge heatsink
        running with 4 sticks makes northbridge loads heavy
        thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
        X