Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 128GB slow down

Hello,
    today i benched my falcon 128gb fw 1571. Since two weeks i have run it on AHCI. I saw that my speed dropped down from 240/165 to 205/115. What is the reason for this slow down? My falcon works as system and boot drive. I run every day wiper so?!

what do you mean?

Have you recently installed any new drivers either on purpose or by allowing Windows Update to give you new drivers?

You see, I have an EVGA 680i SLI (and 64-bit Windows 7), and I am the type of user who tries very hard to avoid Microsoft's drivers where possible. So, quite naturally I installed all of my motherboard's drivers (at least the ones I needed since I don't use onboard audio).

So, when I got my 64 GB Falcon back in early August, I installed all of the motherboard's drivers again like I always do. Then a few weeks later I learned about Wiper.exe and I decided to give it a try, but it didn't work. So, I assumed that it was because my motherboard is 3 years old and because it doesn't have AHCI support.

But fortunately, I never experienced a slow-down. But then one day I started getting more into games than ever, and I accidentally allowed it to get more than 50% full. It got about 75% full, and as a result I noticed a very similar slow-down like the one you're having. So, then I decided it was time to try much harder at getting Wiper.exe to work (I didn't put much effort into it before).

As a result of trying much harder, I learned that I needed to do something that I didn't really want to do: I had to change the driver for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller from the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller to the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I mean, that meant I had to use Microsoft's generic driver! But I did it, and then Wiper.exe worked.

Here's the point of all of this:
    I noticed that my ATTO Disk Benchmark results are much better with the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller driver than they are with the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller driver!! So, I have decided that I will definitely stick with the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller.

So, that's basically what I am referring to when I am curious about your drivers. I mean, if using a different one affects my benchmark results that much, then perhaps something similar is going on with yours.

Comment

just to put my 2 cents again... you guys with a 128g are lucky, whatever i do with my 64gigs : IDE, AHCI microsoft, AHCI AMD I get no more than a lame 180 read and 75 write on a 20% full 64g. Wiper was done yesterday:

if that can make you feel better : FW 1819

--------------------------------------------------
      CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read : 179.551 MB/s
      Sequential Write : 74.094 MB/s
      Random Read 512KB : 146.483 MB/s
      Random Write 512KB : 72.772 MB/s
      Random Read 4KB : 28.180 MB/s
      Random Write 4KB : 7.341 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
      Date : 2009/11/20 16:24:22

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
        just to put my 2 cents again... you guys with a 128g are lucky, whatever i do with my 64gigs : IDE, AHCI microsoft, AHCI AMD I get no more than a lame 180 read and 75 write on a 20% full 64g. Wiper was done yesterday:

if that can make you feel better : FW 1819

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo

Sequential Read : 179.551 MB/s
        Sequential Write : 74.094 MB/s
        Random Read 512KB : 146.483 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB : 72.772 MB/s
        Random Read 4KB : 28.180 MB/s
        Random Write 4KB : 7.341 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
        Date : 2009/11/20 16:24:22
        Interesting. What do you get with the default settings in ATTO Disk Benchmark 2.41?
        I get slightly different results every time, but here's a general idea of what I get with my 64 GB Falcon:

Comment

testing 64 gig

here it is , 64 gig gskill, win 7 64 AMD AHCI drivers FW 1819

Last edited by sirius69; 11-20-2009, 05:23 PM.

Comment

now what i used to have at the beginning with older firmware + IDE

Comment

new firmware ...fresh wiper , and reboot

Last edited by sirius69; 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

wiper doesn't seem to do much, but was there anything to do anyway...
                I'm stuck on the 100mg/s syndrome on write speed

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                  wiper doesn't seem to do much, but was there anything to do anyway...
                  I'm stuck on the 100mg/s syndrome on write speed
                  Damn. Do you get worse results using IDE instead of AHCI? I mean, I've seen it go both ways where some people see better performance with AHCI, and some get better with IDE (when they have both options). I can only use IDE.

Comment

same thing with all modes ( enabled from registry and bios , AMD has to be pointed to in the reg. ).. give and take 10mb/s. That latest firmware 1815 brought the write speed down quite a lot..

and whatever they say : I can feel it when I start Firefox and play with the computer...not suffering that much thoug, things are much faster than before the SSD ..

specs:
                    AMD phenomII 3.4ghz x4 , Gigabyte AMD mobo, 4 gig ddr2 mem @1066mhz, nvidia 260, win7 64 home premium legit
                    Last edited by sirius69; 11-20-2009, 06:54 PM.

Comment

mmmh, but my drive is 50% full and i have a dfi lanparty UT-P45-T2RS. Should i install other driver for IDE/AHCI? I always use the standard driver from windows 7 update.

Comment

Originally posted by bugz View Post
                        mmmh, but my drive is 50% full and i have a dfi lanparty UT-P45-T2RS. Should i install other driver for IDE/AHCI? I always use the standard driver from windows 7 update.
                        It can't hurt. Try anything. That's why I took the time to type that massive reply above.
                        Last edited by TwoCables; 11-22-2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

mmh, here is "standard dual channel pci-ide-controller" and "standard ahci1.0 seriel ata-controller" installed. So what should I do? I think these are the right drivers.
                          Last edited by bugz; 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bugz View Post
                            mmh, here is "standard dual channel pci-ide-controller" and "standard ahci1.0 seriel ata-controller" installed. So what should I do? I think these are the right drivers.
                            If you are using IDE mode, then install the IDE one. If you're using AHCI mode, then install the AHCI one. After all, it's only an experiment and you can always click Rollback Driver.

Comment

I meant that both of them installed. And I m using AHCI mode but is there a newer driver than AHCI 1.0 out?

Comment

Working...
                              X