AHCI vs IDE benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHCI vs IDE benchmarks

I've been using IDE on my SSD throughout the time I've had it because I always heard that AHCI doesn't really make a difference and IDE is more compatible...when I was using my mechanical hard drive AHCI made things a bit slower so I assumed the same would happen with my SSD

I decided to try AHCI mode with my 256GB Falcon to test and I was surprised to see AHCI offering better performance, in some cases significantly better performance...I ran each benchmark 3 times to make sure the results were valid...besides the synthetic benchmark numbers my overall system responsiveness feels better as well

I benched using the AS SSD benchmark as well as CrystalDiskMark...firmware 1571 was used...the first screenshot (on the left) is from a benchmark I ran on 11/06/09 using IDE mode and the second (on the right) was taken today using AHCI mode

for those still using IDE I suggest trying AHCI...for me AHCI is the only way to go now

thanks, Titus
    nice work

G.S

Comment

To enable AHCI is only in the bios of the mobo isn't it? Or I need to format the SSD again?
      C2Q Q6600// Gigabyte EP45-DQ6// 2x2Gb Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz// G.Skill Falcon 64Gb // XFX ATi HD5870 1Gb GDDR5 // Samsung T260// CM690 Watercooled: EK Supreme
      AMD X2 2350BE// ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI// 4x1Gb Corsair/OCZ // Viewsonic VX922// WD250Gb// Chieftec
      Toshiba A200-21T // C2D T8300 (2x2.4Ghz)// 3Gb DDR2//ATi HD2600// Hitachi 250Gb

Comment

enable AHCI in the bios and the registry , google on how to enable ahci in registry

Comment

Check your BIOS first to see if it even has the option because mine doesn't! So beware.

Comment

Originally posted by V3ctor View Post
            To enable AHCI is only in the bios of the mobo isn't it? Or I need to format the SSD again?
            to enable AHCI is to enable this function in BIOS
            but if your system is installed in SSD, you may need to repair the system or reinstall it, or sometimes it can't boot into OS
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Tried it yesterday, I activated AHCI in the bios, but when Windows 7 was loading... BSOD I'll activate AHCI and format the SSD again

Thanks
              C2Q Q6600// Gigabyte EP45-DQ6// 2x2Gb Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz// G.Skill Falcon 64Gb // XFX ATi HD5870 1Gb GDDR5 // Samsung T260// CM690 Watercooled: EK Supreme
              AMD X2 2350BE// ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI// 4x1Gb Corsair/OCZ // Viewsonic VX922// WD250Gb// Chieftec

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not possible to switch between IDE and AHCI when Windows is already installed. A reformat must be done immediately after switching. I think it has to do with how deeply embedded the settings are in Windows for IDE or AHCI that if it's switched, it goes "WHAT?!" hehe

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69
                  WRONG.. as I've said before you have to go into the registry FIRST, activate AHCI from there , THEN reboot go into bios and activate AHCI and everything will be fine..
                  the place to activate AHCI is :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Current control/service/ msahci at the start key modify and put 0 then reboot

it is all over the internet , google is your friend :

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread6494.html
                  Wow. Excuse me. Damn dude. That wasn't necessary.

I was basing that off my own experience combined with what I've read on other message boards.

Comment

well, it's now deleted... why would I try to rectify everyone in here TWICE and get some people frustrated in the process because I don't have the right words to say it in English which is not my main language..

have fun, people ....and don't believe everything that gskill is saying.. I'm out if here.
                    Last edited by sirius69; 11-25-2009, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                      well, it's now deleted... why would I try to rectify everyone in here TWICE and get some people frustrated in the process because I don't have the right words to say it in English which is not my main language..

have fun, people ....and don't believe everything that gskill is saying.. I'm out if here.
                      For starters, it is because you were rude - as though you're superior to people like me. And no, I did not report your post even though I should have. I figured I could handle it myself. But whatever. It's the internet. lol

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post

I said that I was going to format the SSD because i'm going back to the old firmware, windows gets wasted in the process and I'll enable AHCI in the bios...

Comment

if you're going to switch between AHCI and IDE it's best to do a clean reformat (my preferred method)...but you can also use that registry hack to switch but I don't trust that completely...I prefer to play things safe

only negative to AHCI is that boot up takes around 8-10 seconds longer

Comment

Working...
                          X