Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Titan 128GB died in my Macbook within 2 weeks

Hi all!

I purchased two Titan 128GB SSDs (FM-25S2S-128GBT1) a while back. The plan was to install them both in my Macbook (13" unibody). While I waited for my DVD adapter (allows you to replace the DVD with a second drive), I installed the second Titan in my MacPro.

At first I was really impressed with the speed - I got 200MB+ reads and 160MB+ writes on my Macbook. Boot times and application load times were fantastic - I do not think I have ever enjoyed an upgrade so much. The same were also true on the MacPro - loading Adobe applications like Photoshop was suddenly fast!

Then disaster struck one day - my Macbook would suddenly not boot. It showed the disk as uninitialized, with a size of 4GB. The drive was recently backed up, so no real loss. I reinstalled the old bootdisk in my MacPro and moved the second SSD to the Macbook.

Then, a few weeks later, the SSD died again. Again, recently backed up, so no real loss, but now I am a bit worried. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with MacBook and SSD?

Could it be a problem with the MacBook? I have used several different HDDs from different manufacturers in it, never had a problem.

When I look at the Titans, I notice that the serial numbers are identical except the last digits (they end in 701 and 702), so I got two made in the same batch I guess. Maybe a problem there?

Both times they failed the MacBook was running on battery power.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this? I guess the probability of two drives failing within days is quite low.

See if you can use the original HDD and rule out the SSDs. I'm also curious to know about your issues because I'm considering a switch to SSD.
    Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

Working...
    X