Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you gotten Wiper to work on the same setup as mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you gotten Wiper to work on the same setup as mine?

Every time I try to run Wiper, it says "No drive installed proper firmware found".

Here's my setup:
    • 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium (retail)
    • EVGA 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68) - BIOS version P33
    • 64 GB Falcon in channel 0 - it's also the C: drive.
    • 150 GB VelociRaptor in channel 1 - it's the D: drive.

Regardless of what I try, it will not run. So I am at the point now where I would like to know if it's common for Wiper to not work with a similar setup - especially with this motherboard.

I have tried running it from the C: drive.

I have tried Run as Administrator.

I have tried unplugging the VelociRaptor.

I have tried running it from a Command Prompt (this is when I can actually see what it says).

I have tried every possible related configuration in this BIOS.

So, do I have any other options?

no solution but : wiper is working fine here on 64b win7 premium ,
    64 GB Falcon in channel 0 - it's also the C: drive.
    150 GB VelociRaptor in channel 1 - it's the D: drive.

but my motherboard is a gigabyte ( PhemonII x4)

your drives are on IDE or AHCI ?

Comment

IDE. This motherboard doesn't have AHCI support.

I think whether or not Wiper will work might depend on the chipset.

Comment

Have you tried this?

Enable Wiper/Trim for NVIDIA Nforce Boards: Go to \My Computer\\Properties\\Device Manager\\IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers\\NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller\ go ahead and Update Driver Software. Then click on “Browse My Computer for Driver Software”, Choose “Let Me Pick from a List of Device Drivers on My Computer” and pick 'Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller' and hit ok.

Comment

Originally posted by RickDekkard View Post
          Yeah. I've tried everything that's recommended. But I'll try it again since I just realized I only last tried it with the official Release Candidate of Windows 7 and not the Retail. I'll update this reply with the results.

Edit: It worked! Unlike with the Release Candidate of Windows 7 (build 7100), it worked this time. I am now confused as to why it didn't work with the Release Candidate, but I don't care. lol

So, here are the before and after benchmarks (well, not directly before):

This was when my drive was almost brand new. I made this screenshot on August 9th, 2009:

This one is immediately after running Wiper just a few minutes ago:

So yeah: Wiper is awesome. To say that I am happy is certainly an understatement!

Side-by-side just for convenience:

Last edited by TwoCables; 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I have discovered 2 problems with using the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller instead of the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller:
            1. Random, but infrequent lock-ups
            2. Boot-up (or reboot) is slower

Therefore, I rolled back to the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller to see if this fixes the problem. So far, my boot (or reboot) time is back up to speed. From now on, I will just go with the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller every time I want to run Wiper, and then immediately Rollback to the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller. If that doesn't introduce any new problems, then I will continue doing this. I am perfectly ok with this since it took over 3 months for my performance to decrease. Actually, it didn't take over 3 months: it was caused by filling the drive beyond 50% capacity (about 75% or so, actually).

But now that I've run Wiper, and now that everything is back to normal, I'll see how it goes.
            Last edited by TwoCables; 11-19-2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Update:

I just ran another ATTO benchmark just to see how the performance was doing, and it was really bad. It was a little bit worse than the one above. So, I switched back to the Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, ran ATTO again, and the results were excellent:

So, I guess I am most definitely not using the NVIDIA driver ever again.

Comment

weird stuff going on

I haven't bother running wiper for the last week or so and I've just installed various programs while deleting other ones, reactivated system restore and a few processes.. SSD is now 30% full.

and to my surprises, my Gskil 64 just woke up today... I don't have a clue as to why the speed increased so much from my last benchmarks . Seem that the less we worry about it, the best it seem to work. This is the best speed I got so far, after that 1815 firmware installation.. I've run it twice and I got the same result, go figure ! weird stuff..

Last edited by sirius69; 11-25-2009, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                  I haven't bother running wiper for the last week or so and I've just installed various programs while deleting other ones, reactivated system restore and a few processes.. SSD is now 30% full.

and to my surprises, my Gskil 64 just woke up today... I don't have a clue as to why the speed increased so much from my last benchmarks . Seem that the less we worry about it, the best it seem to work. This is the best speed I got so far, after that 1815 firmware installation.. I've run it twice and I got the same result, go figure ! weird stuff..
                  That's indeed weird. I haven't gotten anything above 215-225 Read since that insane benchmark with most of them being at 230. I guess I don't mind seeing as this is still way faster than my VelociRaptor, but still, I think it's kind of strange how that one benchmark was so awesome, and now ever since it has been worse. I'm running Wiper every single day, so perhaps that's too often. hehe I've been a bit more relaxed on Wiper lately. I suppose I'll do another ATTO Disk Benchmark in a few days to a week or so.

Comment

I tried running wiper from the forums post on this forum, and it nuked my drive, I had to restore from the latest backup to get back up and running.

So for now I cannot run wiper. I just got the drive, so technically I don't need to, but I want to be able to at some point!

My ATTO is interesting. Write speed hovers at 125-135mb/sec, and my read at stays at 215-235mb/sec from 64-1024, then at 2048+ it jumps to about 255mb/sec.

So nice read speeds, but I don't understand why my write speeds are 20gb/sec less than the others in this thread.

But back on topic, any ideas why wiper would just kill my drive (so it cannot boot).

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. The interface ATA interface is set to AHCI and it is a Falcon 128gb drive with the latest (1819) firmware on it.

FYI, I tried using the wiper from OCZ's forums too, but it just said that no drives that could support it were detected. I assume it detects for OCZ drives only.

Comment

Originally posted by CorporateGoth View Post
                      I tried running wiper from the forums post on this forum, and it nuked my drive, I had to restore from the latest backup to get back up and running.

So for now I cannot run wiper. I just got the drive, so technically I don't need to, but I want to be able to at some point!

My ATTO is interesting. Write speed hovers at 125-135mb/sec, and my read at stays at 215-235mb/sec from 64-1024, then at 2048+ it jumps to about 255mb/sec.

So nice read speeds, but I don't understand why my write speeds are 20gb/sec less than the others in this thread.

But back on topic, any ideas why wiper would just kill my drive (so it cannot boot).

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit. The interface ATA interface is set to AHCI and it is a Falcon 128gb drive with the latest (1819) firmware on it.

FYI, I tried using the wiper from OCZ's forums too, but it just said that no drives that could support it were detected. I assume it detects for OCZ drives only.
                      I don't know why it would do that to the drive, however G.SKILL does say in the thread that contains the download for Wiper.exe that we should back up our data first because there is a risk that we could lose some or all of it. It's a "use at your own risk" type of utility. So, just before I ran Wiper.exe, I thoroughly prepared in exactly the same way I do just minutes before a reformat. Fortunately I got lucky and Wiper doesn't hurt my drive. But I believe that it doesn't mean it will always be harmless to my data.

As for your ATTO results: those are normal/average for the 128 GB drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X