No announcement yet.

Schwanke78's Win-7 and V1819 Feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwanke78's Win-7 and V1819 Feedback!

Finally decided to make the jump and make the experience with Windows-7, I settled on two copies of Win-7 Professional OEM that I bought at my local CompUSA store. Next task at hand was to flash my two 64GB Falcon's to FW v1819, I used WINPE before to flash my drives to FW v1571 using a USB Flash Drive. The new Firmware does not allow the WINPE and Flash Drive, you need to do exactly what G.Skill says here http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=2496 be sure to plug in your drive once Windows is up and running. If you plug it in before the boot-up you may get a BSD and end up pulling out some hair! Anyways down to business the FW update does work and got all my 1st Gen Falcon drives fully 1819 compliant.

Now on to install, Windows-7 has a 100MB Partition that it creates by default, don't panic it is normal and by no means erase it because your system will cease to boot. But in the event you do this the install disk can and will repair the boot partition sector. You may ask why the allotted 100MB space and even why the small partition. Windows Professional and Ultimate can run Virtualization and all that means is dual OS Operating Systems.

Far as the Operating System goes, it’s nice and have yet to get one of those Vista hang-ups. Windows-7 is really nothing more than a cleaned up Vista platform without any 3rd party drivers to bloat it! Far as gaming goes I gained about 3-4fps in Crysis Wars on my Sager Notebook. So is upgraded to Win-7 worth it, cannot really say since I must have the newest stuff when it comes out. For Wiper the command still works, but it’s very slow on its progress and that could be because of Win-7’s own trim command working against it, not 100% sure yet on this phenomena. Maybe G.Skill will send me some goodies one day to play with and then I can really give some good feedback!

So three things I would like to highlight.
    1. Flashing the drive is done on another machine or a dual OS system and the drive being flashed does not need to be Disk-0.
    2. Don't delete the 100MB System Reserved Partition unless you want boot-up trouble.
    3. Windows overall is worth it if your coming from XP land or Vitsa Basic. If you have Vista Premium (64) or up, you may want to hold on to your current OS this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Schwanke78; 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM.
    CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
    MB ASUS P6X58D-E
    GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
    RAM 12Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme Division-2 DDR3 @ 1908Mhz
    PSU Corsair AX 850W
    SSD: Intel X25M 80Gb
    HD 2x WD VelociRaptors 150Gb in Raid-0

Sager NP8662
    CPU: Intel Q9100 @ 2.38 GHz
    GPU: GTX 260M @ 612Mhz
    RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1066Mhz 4Gb
    SSD: Intel X25M 120Gb

EDITED:

thanks.
    Last edited by sirius69; 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM. Reason: post no longer relevent

Comment

The slow wiper progress is because of the v1819 firmware. I don't know why it slows it down, but it does.

Comment

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
        Nice advise, but you're as easy to read as a 1864 A.D. document..

please format in a proper manner ... or i don't see ****, it's all mixed up lol
        Schwanke78, I have to respectfully admit that I agree. I mean, it's just one big block of text, and so it takes extra effort to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
          Schwanke78, I have to respectfully admit that I agree. I mean, it's just one big block of text, and so it takes extra effort to read it.
          No problem just my initial draft, Rome was not built in a day but I can understand the format and wanting to get to the topic points.
          Last edited by Schwanke78; 11-28-2009, 11:26 PM.
          CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
          MB ASUS P6X58D-E
          GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
          PSU Corsair AX 850W

Sager NP8662

Comment

I'm keen to know what performance you get with the drive in the Windows Experience Index. If possible can you run the test and post a legitimate screenshot. Really eager tyo see results
            Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

Sure not a problem, hope this can give you some indications of what to expect.

eVGA 750i FTW rig

Sager NP8662 Gaming Notebook
              CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
              MB ASUS P6X58D-E
              GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
              PSU Corsair AX 850W

Sager NP8662

Comment

Firstly what a lovely computer rig you have (great work). Can I confirm you run a single SSD as stated in your signature? Curious to know how well it would perform in RAID. Also very nice notebook too (more powerful than most desktops, must be heavy and cost a fortune).
                Do you run an AMD 790FX chipset or higher end GIGABYTE motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor with G.Skill 1066 DDR2 RAM? If so I could really use your input, information and advice over here.

Comment

Yeah I run just one single SSD per each machine, once they get the trim for Raid and can pass the commands it may be time for Raid-0. Thanks for the props, I got my Sager from http://www.xoticpc.com/ for a really good deal for $1,282.82.

Excluded the following
                  2,048MB DDR3 1066MHz Dual Channel Memory ( - $40 )
                  250GB 5400RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 8MB Cache) ( - $45 )
                  Your military/cash discounted total is $1,282.82

I bought my G.Skill Ram from http://www.newegg.com/ and my second G.Skill SSD from http://www.chiefvalue.com/ so was able to save money by added the component myself. This little machine performs like a dream and I would recommend Xotic PC to anyone wanting a high-end Laptop, plus they price match.
                  CPU I7-980X @ 3.81Ghz
                  MB ASUS P6X58D-E
                  GPU GTX480 @ 770Mhz
                  PSU Corsair AX 850W

Sager NP8662

Comment

Originally posted by Schwanke78 View Post
                    Yeah I run just one single SSD per each machine, once they get the trim for Raid and can pass the commands it may be time for Raid-0.
                    Given your experience I may just run one SSD and although I'd love to stick with G.Skill I do have some concerns voiced here. I'm trying to find one of their models that is (how can I put this nicely) most suitable and less likely to be of any trouble for me.

EDIT: Looks like the Falcon II is right up my street, I just have to see how long the product is warranted for. Also with regards to powering the drive, can I use the standard SATA POWER CONNECTOR or do I have to use a different version of the connector, possibly a smaller one?
                    Last edited by Ginsok; 11-26-2009, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginsok View Post
                      Given your experience I may just run one SSD and although I'd love to stick with G.Skill I do have some concerns voiced here. I'm trying to find one of their models that is (how can I put this nicely) most suitable and less likely to be of any trouble for me.

EDIT: Looks like the Falcon II is right up my street, I just have to see how long the product is warranted for. Also with regards to powering the drive, can I use the standard SATA POWER CONNECTOR or do I have to use a different version of the connector, possibly a smaller one?
                      Fortunately, it still uses the standard SATA power connector. And it also still uses the standard SATA data connector.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
                        Fortunately, it still uses the standard SATA power connector. And it also still uses the standard SATA data connector.
                        Thanks that is of a tremendous help. Really stoked I won't need a tonne of stupid adapters and that it's a simple plug and play for bother SATA POWER and SATA DATA.

Comment

Working...
                        X