Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have tried another company's firmware on their SSD ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have tried another company's firmware on their SSD ?

Just curious to know if someone has flash is SSD with another company's firmware. Since OCZ vertex have the same components, i thought that someone would of try it.. not that I want to, could be a costly adventure !

I flashed my two Falcon drives to 1.1 Vertex, than 1.1 Vertex to 1.3 Vertex and finaly 1.3 Vertex to 1.41 Vertex (Garbage collection version). Everything without any problems. Now my G.SKill Falcon drives are recognized as OCZ Vertex drives 1.41. I probably lost my guarantee with doing this, but it should be no problem to flash it back to G.SKill Falcon if needed... You can find more informations about firmware flashing at OCZ forum...

Comment

Originally posted by sbehring View Post
      I flashed my two Falcon drives to 1.1 Vertex, than 1.1 Vertex to 1.3 Vertex and finaly 1.3 Vertex to 1.41 Vertex (Garbage collection version). Everything without any problems. Now my G.SKill Falcon drives are recognized as OCZ Vertex drives 1.41. I probably lost my guarantee with doing this, but it should be no problem to flash it back to G.SKill Falcon if needed... You can find more informations about firmware flashing at OCZ forum...
      Some questions if you don't mind:

Can you post (elsewhere if here it's not appropiate) or link the procedure?

Do you get the same speeds, access times, etc. ?

Have you notice some improvement with the last firmware?

Thanks

Comment

What i do is Use sanitary erase from OCZ all but takes around 20 mins. I have BartPe on USB boot into it erase the ssd then boot back again partition the ssd ... raid them back and image my backup good as new.

Comment

Tried to crossflash to the OCZ 1.41, but I had quite lower speeds, so went back to GSkill firmware without trim or GC, and everything's back to normal. Just miss the trim...

Comment

The speeds are maybe a little bit lower, but the Vertex SSD?s are a bit slower with new firmware too. The reason is the Garbage Collection function. I am using RAID configuration. With my old Falcon firmware, the speed falled down with time, because the Wiper tool doesn?t work in RAID. With OCZ firmware 1.41 (Garbage collection), the speed is stable since flash... The crossflash procedure is not absolutely easy and needs some user experiences. If you are not a "computer guru" I don?t recommend you to crossflash. What I can recommend you, read the OCZ forum (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...play.php?f=186) - you can find there very usefull informations.

Comment

Here talk about crossflashing our Falcons into Vertex.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...28gb-review/11

Comment

People have done this, and it has worked.
                This is the process, known to work: G.Skill 1571 -> Vertex 1.1 -> Vertex 1.3 -> Vertex 1.4 -> Vertex 1.5
                Last edited by Extide; 09-25-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

Where is the ocz vertex 1.1 please, i look ocz forum and didnt find!

Comment

anyone have the ocz 1.1 firmware please i need it

Comment

for anybody thinking of crossflashing to a version below Vertex 1.4, I suggest you read fist this post by Vertex staff.

Food for thought.

Comment

Well i managed to get my hands on the ocz 1.10 firmware. But i dont know if its earlier on or later ... seems like Tony from OCZ has locked out crossflashing on it. Tried to crossflash i get errors.

Comment

I tried too and got errors.

Comment

So this goes out to anyone here who has the vertex 1.10 FW that they have used and worked on their falcons please let me know.

Comment

is it possible to got from falcons FW 1571 - to Vertex 1.3FW ?

no go
                              Last edited by macdaddy; 02-08-2010, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X