Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tweaks for Win7 64 bit

Hi

I`m running Falcon 128 GB on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.
    Which tweaks are necessary to use with Win7 ? Since XP has no native support for SSD i need to figure out which tweaks to use with Win7. Running latest FW.
    Thank you for all help.

Viking from Norway

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=913

Comment

Originally posted by SirPingsAlot View Post
      Hi

I`m running Falcon 128 GB on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.
      Which tweaks are necessary to use with Win7 ? Since XP has no native support for SSD i need to figure out which tweaks to use with Win7. Running latest FW.
      Thank you for all help.

Viking from Norway
      The tweaks in the thread that sirius69 copy/pasted above are 100% complete for Windows 7. Granted, 2-3 might not apply, but that's ok. But make an attempt to do all of the tweaks, even any that are found in the replies to that thread.

Comment

Ok. Will try it and run some benchmarks :-)

Comment

<tips: don't buy gskill SSD

Comment

Originally posted by SirPingsAlot View Post
            Ok. Will try it and run some benchmarks :-)
            Actually, these tweaks don't really increase the performance, but rather they help to minimize the degradation of performance.

I have also read that another way to help minimize performance degradation is to avoid filling the drive up more than half full. And y'know, I think I may have experienced this first hand: you see, my 64 GB Falcon always had a Windows Experience Index subscore of 7.1. But relatively recently, I filled the drive up to maybe 60-70% full. Then, for some reason, I re-ran the assessment like maybe a week later or something and it got a subscore of 7.0 instead. So then I ran ATTO Benchmark and I noticed a difference right away (as soon as I looked at the finished benchmark). Up until this point, my ATTO Benchmark runs were almost always the same, give or take a few MB per second. But this time the story was different: it explained why the subscore went from 7.1 to 7.0. So, I am here to say that it's certainly true: if you want to do whatever it takes to avoid performance degradation, then don't fill it up more than halfway. Not even reformatting it can help.

Comment

there are some extensive threads on OCZ's forum about how to get the performance back to a SSD , with sanitary_erase and other stuff.. even some people reporting CCleaner as being useful... not so sure about this one, anyway a lot of interesting reading. But it's a fact a 70% full SSD won't perform as well. Maybe the new firmware ( vaporware) will fix this

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post
                Actually, these tweaks don't really increase the performance, but rather they help to minimize the degradation of performance.

I have also read that another way to help minimize performance degradation is to avoid filling the drive up more than half full. And y'know, I think I may have experienced this first hand: you see, my 64 GB Falcon always had a Windows Experience Index subscore of 7.1. But relatively recently, I filled the drive up to maybe 60-70% full. Then, for some reason, I re-ran the assessment like maybe a week later or something and it got a subscore of 7.0 instead. So then I ran ATTO Benchmark and I noticed a difference right away (as soon as I looked at the finished benchmark). Up until this point, my ATTO Benchmark runs were almost always the same, give or take a few MB per second. But this time the story was different: it explained why the subscore went from 7.1 to 7.0. So, I am here to say that it's certainly true: if you want to do whatever it takes to avoid performance degradation, then don't fill it up more than halfway. Not even reformatting it can help.
                The twaks in the first post did not increase the performance as you said.
                My PC freezed and and I had to manually reboot a while after the tweaks. I`m not sure about the reason.
                Thank you for all tips.

Originally posted by sirius69 View Post
                there are some extensive threads on OCZ's forum about how to get the performance back to a SSD , with sanitary_erase and other stuff.. even some people reporting CCleaner as being useful... not so sure about this one, anyway a lot of interesting reading. But it's a fact a 70% full SSD won't perform as well. Maybe the new firmware ( vaporware) will fix this
                I will check it out.
                Last edited by SirPingsAlot; 11-02-2009, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I just got a 128GB Falcon for my boot drive, under the Device manager it lists 1819 so I guess it has the latest frimware. With TRIM enabled are many of the tweaks in the sticky now irrelevant? I know a lot of them were to stop sectors (or whatever they are caled) from filling up. Will TRIM mean no need to disable search indexer, cos I love it!?

Comment

move the temp file folder from internet and windows , the download folder + winrar processing on another drive also. Quite a few things that still apply to win 7 and 1819 FM. Datas that move too much and programs that load fast anyway don't need to be on the SSD. We don't know enough to tell what's good and bad about 1819 , nobody seem to know , except for the 20% speed lost ....

The SSD is limited in the amount of writing they do in their lifetime, but not limited on the reading . While my raptor hard drive can handle many things I haven't bought the SSD to remain virgin anyway.

my 2 cents
                    Last edited by sirius69; 11-22-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X