Help me choose a new i7 kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a new i7 kit

Hello, I'm planning to purcharse a new high-performance i7 DDR3 triple kit for my computer. ( the previous kit is a value select type and it's bad )

Here is some of my choices:

[ Ripjaws] F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH

[ Trident] F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD

[ PI Black] F3-16000CL9T-6GBPI-B

What I'm still confused is that there kits above look similar, about bus speed and timing. They seem to be different from heatsinks, which Trident has better heatsink. And someone reviews that Trident has slightly more performance, too. So can you give me more specific details about these ram series ?

In my local dealer they have Ripjaw and Trident, no PI Black. I have little info about PI Black, but seem its heastsink is huge and spread heat better than, Trident ?

I'm currently indeterminate, maybe I should choose the famous Trident, but it's more expensive than Ripjaw, while my dealer also has special offer for ripjaw.

My goal is going toward overclock my core i7 920 to 4 ghz, and can run my kit ram as both 2000 cas9 or 1600/1800 cas 6/7 stable. I'll not OC ram, or maybe slightly OC if I have to archive cpu speed, however I just want they to run at listed spec. For 24/7 use and safe, i'll run at 3.5ghz anh 1800 cas6/7.

My PC : Asus P6T Deluxe V1, i7 920 C0 with megashadow, corsair 750w.

Last question is, should I go for Ripjaw ?

thank you for help

( hey, the other thing is problem with the cpu heatsink, megashadow. yeah it's big so maybe trident will not fit. only choice is Ripjaw )
    Last edited by quan_vn; 10-30-2009, 04:33 AM.

Trident is out i guess because it's too tall for megashadow? F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH will be good. Im using it too.

Comment

The RipJaws should work well

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
        The RipJaws should work well
        nice, I'll choose ripjaw

BTW, you still don't show me the differences among Pi, ripjaw and Trident

Comment

Trident and RipJaws followed the PIs as the higher end spectrum of GSkills memory lines, each have used progressively newer more 'advanced' chips geared towards the newer higher end chipsets and CPUs. Can't get into specifics as I don't have access to the specs on the chips used, other than working knowledge.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks, I'll go for ripjaw and bump against for seeking help ... about how to config to make ram run properly.

Comment

With most P6Ts it should basically work out of the box (or plastic wrap as it were), you'll manually set the speed, base timings, DRAM voltage and set the Command Rate to 2T. Might have to adjust the tRFC a bit, but hopefully not. From there you can play w/ the timings to increase performance if you like

Tman

Comment

I've just bought a ripjaw 6gb 2000 cas9 kit, here is my testing:

1/ run as XMP profile my comp will boot to windows 7, but after using a little, the system crashes. Qpi volt 1.575v, ram volt 1.6v

2/ so I changes to bus 1866 cas 8-8-8-22. ram volt 1.6, cpu volt 1.2, qpi dram core volt set auto

it works fine. using Turbo V I see Qpi is auto set as 1.475v -> is that ok?

3/ Trying to lower qpi volt as my previous kit can be operated as qpi 1.2v, so I manually set qpi to 1.3v, it won't boot and say overclock failure.

So I have some questions: how much QPI volt is needed for ripjaw and the max QPI volt should not exceed, to keep cpu safe ( i know ram volt is better below 1.65v )
                and should I try 1866 cas 7-7-7-20 ?

(I'm using asus P6t deluxe v1 and i7 920 C0. I'm able to set cpu to 3.6ghz at 1.2v with my previous kit 1333 ram 1.64 volt qpi 1.2v, of course I need to run at speed 1200 cause it wont run at 1333 at cpu 3.6)
                Last edited by quan_vn; 11-15-2009, 12:15 AM.

Comment

please try to set qpi voltage to 1.6v
                  to run with other spec, you have to try to get which the proper voltage is, since every cpu differs
                  thanks

G.S

Comment

Working...
                  X