Dell memory upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell memory upgrade

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5, Dell motherboard, Intel Pentium D, 3.0 ghz , X-86 based pc Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz, SMBIOS Version 2.3
    I have now 1GB DDR2 memory. I want to upgrade to 8GB, change to Vista Ultimate 64 bit. What is the best, fastest G. Skill memory that will work in my system, or should I start with a new system?

according to the spec of your motherboard, it only supports to DDR2 667
    so, we'd recommend you to buy F2-5300CL4D-4GBPQ
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Dell XPS 420 Memory

I tried for nearly a week to get information about G Skill memory for my Dell XPS 420 without success. G Skill responded with some incorrect information.

I finally ordered some Kingston memory that will work on my system.

Hope this helps those with the same G Skill problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanspuppa View Post
        I tried for nearly a week to get information about G Skill memory for my Dell XPS 420 without success. G Skill responded with some incorrect information.

I finally ordered some Kingston memory that will work on my system.

Hope this helps those with the same G Skill problem.
        according to dell website http://www.dell.com/content/products...aspx/xpsdt_420
        Dell stated XPS 420 only support up to 4GB of memory in their website. we can only recommend what we see on Dell website. even we know this chipset support higher capacity, we cannot recommend it.

Comment

This is found on page 106 of the Dell XPS420 Manual on the Dell website

Addressing Memory With 8-GB Configurations
          Your computer supports a maximum of 8 GB of memory when you use four 2-GB DIMMs.

However, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 8 GB. This is because certain components within the computer require address space in the 8-GB range; and any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.

NOTE: 8 GB memory is available only if you ordered an operating system that supports 64 bits. If you ordered a system that supports only 32 bits then the memory available is 4GB.

Seems strange that the Dell manual clearly shows the system to support 8GBs of memory.

But G Skill cannot.
          Last edited by Hanspuppa; 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanspuppa View Post
            This is found on page 106 of the Dell XPS420 Manual on the Dell website

Addressing Memory With 8-GB Configurations
            Your computer supports a maximum of 8 GB of memory when you use four 2-GB DIMMs.

However, the amount of memory available to the operating system is less than 8 GB. This is because certain components within the computer require address space in the 8-GB range; and any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory.

NOTE: 8 GB memory is available only if you ordered an operating system that supports 64 bits. If you ordered a system that supports only 32 bits then the memory available is 4GB.

Seems strange that the Dell manual clearly shows the system to support 8GBs of memory.

But G Skill cannot.
            then at this point, you should call Dell and ask them to fix their misleading tech spec in their website. because normal buyer won't download the user manual and check it out. same as us, we check out their tech spec website not their manual

this is totally misleading everyone who checks XPC 420 SPEC. we didn't check Dell's manual is our mistake, but Dell should post the correct SPEC in thier website

Comment

Dell should post the correct SPEC in their website.
              You must have not had any dealings with Dell recently.

You can't get Dell to do anything as they should.

This is why I was trying to get G Skill memory, instead of Dell.

It's not the responsibility of the producer of a product to make certain that all the information about their products are accurate. Or is it?

Dell does not make their information accurate nor does G Skill make the effort to verify that their products will work on a particular system.

This is a mixed up world we live in today.

Comment

Working...
              X