RAM timing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM timing questions

hi, i am building a computer for the first time and i have a few questions about my ram.

i have G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK ram,AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor, and GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard.

according to newegg (where i bought the ram) the timing is suppose to be 8-8-8-21. in my bios everything is 9T, and 24T, is that what the timing is referring to? and if so, should i manual change it to the timings specified by newegg?

the current settings in bios are:

CAS# LATENCEY 9T
    RAS TO CAS R/W DELAY 9T
    ROW PRECHARGE TIME 9T
    MINIMUM RAS ACTIVE TIME 24T
    1T/2T COMMAND TIMMING 2T
    TWTR COMMAND DELAY 5T

also, should i change any voltages? they currently are set at:

DRAM voltage 1.600v
    DDR VTT voltage .900v
    NB voltage 1.100v
    SB/HT voltage 1.200v
    NB PCIE voltage 1.800v
    CPU NB VID (blank)
    CPU coltage (blank)
    Normal CPY Vcore 1.3500v

should i change any of the voltages to help the ram or anything else? i am kind of a novice on these topics. i do not want to over clock anything now, until i know more.

You want to manually set the timings as you thought 8-8-8-21, your DRAM voltage to 1.5, speed to 1333, command rate to 2T, tRFC to about 66 (or 127--127.5 if shown in NS (nano-seconds).....try this first. If still problems may have to address other voltages.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

when i changed the ram timings to the recommended settings, my computer had the "blue screen of death"... where it said windows had encountered an error, and needs to shut down/dump physical memory. after three more tries of turning on (including one attempt in safe mode) i re-entered bios, and used the restore optimization defaults option. the computer had the BSOD twice more, then started to operate normally. i think this was because of the ram timing changes, or did i do something incorrectly?
      i am running 64-bit windows 7

Comment

Have you tested each stick individually w/ Memtest? Do you have the sticks in slot 1,2 (white), if so, you might try them in slots 3,4 with the same settings. Let us know what happens

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

um... where do i get memtest? is it already in the bios somewhere? and i don't think the ram is broken or anything... it works normally with the default bios settings (9-9-9-24). would un-installing windows, changing timings, then re-installing help? I'm pretty sure the ram and motherboard are ok, because everything works normally at old settings and windows recognizes all 4 gb are there.

o, and yes, the ram cards are in slots 1&2

Comment

ou can download it here:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Would help if you could post your BIOS settings

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X