Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Win 7 identify Falcon drives as SSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Win 7 identify Falcon drives as SSD?

Hi guys, so I understand that Windows 7 has some special tweaks it applies automatically to drives which it identifies as a SSD, such as disabling defrag automatically, etc.
    So my question is, does Win 7 correctly identify Falcon drives as SSD?
    I have read that some Vertex drives are not being identified correctly over on the OCZ forums

why do you want to install windows 7 on a g.skill ssd without having TRIMM or GC support? we all waiting for the new firmware release (1819)!
    Than we can follow the OCZ users and making experience ... and than it is possible to reply your question.

Comment

From my experience it does and it doesn't! W7 shuts off some services if an SSD is found, in my case with a Falcon 128 W7 did switch off readyboost, defrag and prefetch but for some reason not superprefetch! and it did not enable trim.

Comment

Originally posted by Phunky View Post
        Hi guys, so I understand that Windows 7 has some special tweaks it applies automatically to drives which it identifies as a SSD, such as disabling defrag automatically, etc.
        So my question is, does Win 7 correctly identify Falcon drives as SSD?
        I have read that some Vertex drives are not being identified correctly over on the OCZ forums
        When I installed the Release Candidate build 7100 on my 64 GB Falcon 1571, it did not disable any services like Defrag, etc. I had to apply almost all of the tweaks listed here: SSD Tweaks Ver 1.2

The same thing is true after installing the retail copy of Windows 7. However, I have had my Falcon for around 2 months now, and I have not really noticed or felt any performance degradation. So, either Windows 7 is correctly identifying my Falcon as an SSD, or perhaps the reason I haven't noticed any degradation is because I made all of the recommended tweaks both in that thread and on other websites. Either way, Windows 7 + G.SKILL Falcon 1571 = epic win.
        Originally posted by rx99 View Post
        why do you want to install windows 7 on a g.skill ssd without having TRIMM or GC support?
        I know this wasn't directed at me, but:
        • Because Windows 7 runs better on an SSD than Vista or XP.
        • Because I love Windows 7.
        • Because I love my Falcon.
        • Because I love the way Windows 7 handles my Falcon just the way it is.
        • Because Trim/GC support isn't as important to me as I am told to think it is.
        • Because after running Windows 7 on my Falcon for 2 months, the performance is still the same.
        • Because I do whatever I want with (or to) my computer.
        • Because I want to.
        • Because I can.

So why not?
        Originally posted by rx99 View Post
        we all waiting for the new firmware release (1819)!
        Than we can follow the OCZ users and making experience ... and than it is possible to reply your question.
        Oh. That's why. But speak for yourself! Not all of us are waiting. I have the retail copy of Windows 7 on my Falcon right now, and it's running great! And I had the Release Candidate on it since the beginning of August, and it ran great the entire time! So what's the big deal?
        Last edited by TwoCables; 10-27-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Trim seem to work fine here on windows 7 when I run Wiper.exe in administrator mode.. if it wouldn't work, i would not see the % go up and the command "sending trim" in the black window. Many services were turned off by win 7 ultimate retail when I installed it, I don't remember which one but i didn't had to do all the tweaks, some of them were already off.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoCables View Post

I know this wasn't directed at me, but:
            • Because Windows 7 runs better on an SSD than Vista or XP.
            • Because I love Windows 7.
            • Because I love my Falcon.
            • Because I love the way Windows 7 handles my Falcon just the way it is.
            • Because Trim/GC support isn't as important to me as I am told to think it is.
            • Because after running Windows 7 on my Falcon for 2 months, the performance is still the same.
            • Because I do whatever I want with (or to) my computer.
            • Because I want to.
            • Because I can.
            These are good points, and if we were talking two month ago, I also installed W7 on my 2x RAID0 Falcon 128 GB. But, I recently bought a pair of Falcons to set up a RAID0, I just buy a copy of W7, and GSkill it's about to release a new firmware (that you didn't know two month ago).

So, if they are to release a new firmware, they have good reasons to do that. And if I install now W7 on my RAID0 array I will not be able to update my SSDs without data loss (because, among other posibilities, I will have to get out of RAID my disks and that can destroy the data), so the decision is:

Install today and loss the improvements of the new firmware? or wait for a week (let's hope that) and install on a better disks? (yes the SSDs with the 1571 are good, but don't doubt with the 1819 will be better). For me a many other people with more than one SSD, that want to set up a RAID array, the answer is clear, we need to wait.

If I only have one SSD or if I never know about a new firmware to be release, sure, I install W7 at once, but now for us it's very fustrating have to wait with not deadline. This couple of disks are my first GSkill products and I hope that I didn't a mistake buying it.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by RickDekkard View Post
              These are good points, and if we were talking two month ago, I also installed W7 on my 2x RAID0 Falcon 128 GB. But, I recently bought a pair of Falcons to set up a RAID0, I just buy a copy of W7, and GSkill it's about to release a new firmware (that you didn't know two month ago).

So, if they are to release a new firmware, they have good reasons to do that. And if I install now W7 on my RAID0 array I will not be able to update my SSDs without data loss (because, among other posibilities, I will have to get out of RAID my disks and that can destroy the data), so the decision is:

Install today and loss the improvements of the new firmware? or wait for a week (let's hope that) and install on a better disks? (yes the SSDs with the 1571 are good, but don't doubt with the 1819 will be better). For me a many other people with more than one SSD, that want to set up a RAID array, the answer is clear, we need to wait.

If I only have one SSD or if I never know about a new firmware to be release, sure, I install W7 at once, but now for us it's very fustrating have to wait with not deadline. This couple of disks are my first GSkill products and I hope that I didn't a mistake buying it.

Regards.
              But I don't mind installing now and then starting all over once they release the new firmware. But that's because I use a separate hard drive in my system for storage. It has My Documents on it as well as all of my setup files both for my software and drivers. Not only that, but it has a few screenshots to help me get things looking the same way as well to help me to remember what to install and what settings to use. So for me to start all over is extremely easy. Therefore, even if I were receiving Windows 7 in the mail today instead of having received it on Monday, then I would still install it today and then install the new firmware whenever they release it knowing full-well that I'll probably have to start all over.

Besides, what if it's not 1 week? What if it's another month or 2? I refuse to wait while simultaneously expecting to have the new firmware in a week or 2 when it could be another month or 2! I mean, that's doing nothing but greatly increasing the risk that I will be disappointed! I would end up saying things like, "if I had known it was going to take this long, then I would have installed Windows 7 and just waited so that I could enjoy Windows 7." I prefer to go through life without any expectations.

I mean, I'm not going to let G.SKILL (or anyone, for that matter) dictate when I install Windows 7. If I want to install Windows 7 two days prior to the release date of the firmware, then I will do that. Besides, it's not like I absolutely have to install the firmware on the same day it is released! G.SKILL can do their thing, and I'll do mine. If they release the firmware next week, then so be it. But if they do, then it only means one thing: once it's released, I now have the freedom to choose when I install it. Again, my Falcon runs great with firmware 1571! So, it's not like I'm desperately waiting for something better to be released.

But more than that, G.SKILL doesn't owe me a new firmware release just because these other companies are releasing a new one. If G.SKILL wants to take their sweet time in order to make sure that they are giving us firmware that they can confidently stand behind, then I am willing to wait however long that takes. I don't want G.SKILL to release new firmware just because the other companies are doing it. I want them to release new firmware because they feel that it meets or exceeds their high standards.

Comment

I understand your statements, but I don't agree completely with you.

First of all, I also have my docs and data on other drive (an array of mechanical hdds) but rebuild the operating system array, reinstall W7, drivers, programs and utilities takes at least 2 or 3 days to get a fully working PC for me.

Yes, I know it can delay more than one week, and if it will be the case I'll install anyway before they release the new firmware. But will be a shame if I install my system and the next day the new firmware is avaible.

And certainly, I bought my SSDs with the 1571 firmware, that's all, and GSkill owe me nothing more than a good support. Ok, but GSkill is selling now falcon SSDs with the 1819 firmware and I think that will be very kind of their part to make avaible to all of us this new firm with new features and improvements. For me that is a good support like other brands offer. It's seems no fair to get a better drive only if you buy it a couple of days later (same model).

And finally, I'm still not disapointed with GSkill, I only state a desire to get a better product thru a great support, and I hope to get that in a near future, nothing more. I don't mind to wait a bit more if I get that firmware, for RAID users will be very useful.
                Last edited by RickDekkard; 10-28-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I understand your statements, but I don't agree completely with you.

First of all, I also have my docs and data on other drive (an array of mechanical hdds) but rebuild the operating system array, reinstall W7, drivers, programs and utilities takes at least 2 or 3 days to get a fully working PC for me.

Yes, I know it can delay more than one week, and if it will be the case I'll install anyway before they release the new firmware. But will be a shame if I install my system and the next day the new firmware is avaible.

And certainly, I bought my SSDs with the 1571 firmware, that's all, and GSkill owe me nothing more than a good support. Ok, but GSkill is selling now falcon SSDs with the 1819 firmware and I think that will be very kind of their part to make avaible to all of us this new firm with new features and improvements. For me that is a good support like other brands offer. It's seems no fair to get a better drive only if you buy it a couple of days later (same model).

And finally, I'm still not disapointed with GSkill, I only state a desire to get a better product thru a great support, and I hope to get that in a near future, nothing more. I don't mind to wait a bit more if I get that firmware, for RAID users will be very useful.
                  But if you install and set everything up right now and then they release the firmware tomorrow (I know that it's unlikely), then I don't think it would be a shame because to me, that only means that you would then be given the complete freedom to choose when you install that firmware. But if 1571 were giving me issues, then I suppose that I would be pretty anxious to get 1819, and I also suppose that I would much rather wait until it's released instead of dealing with 1571. But I am enjoying 1571, so once G.SKILL releases the newest firmware, I will then install it when I am ready to install it.

Comment

That I would to point out that the main advantage that I see on the 1819 firmware is the BGGC, because in RAID you can not use wiper or trim command never. At least for me and every person with a pair of falcons I think that worth to wait for a while, because the BGGC is a very important improvement.

But I agree with you I'll not wait forever, if to the end of next week GSkill do not release the new firmware I'll install W7 anyway and enjoy my new system.

Comment

That I would to point out that the main advantage that I see on the 1819 firmware is the BGGC, because in RAID you can not use wiper or trim command never. At least for me and every person with a pair of falcons I think that worth to wait for a while, because the BGGC is a very important improvement.

But I agree with you I'll not wait forever, if to the end of next week GSkill do not release the new firmware I'll install W7 anyway and enjoy my new system.
                      I can't use Wiper or Trim either, and I'm only using a single Falcon.

Comment

Working...
                      X