Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-ma790xt-ud4p

Hi,

I decided to write a new topic, even though many very similiar threads exist, but every case (or at least mine) is unique.

HW:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (Bios version F6)
    Proscessor: AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
    Memory: F3_12800CL7D_4GBRH

At first my problem was that BIOS autoset my memory @ 1333Mhz with 11-11-11-24 latency. I tried to correct the settings to 7-7-7-24 and boost the voltage to 1.65, but system went unstable and I had to settle for 9-9-9-24.

After that I ran memtest86 (v.4.00) and result was some errors, but only in dual channel mode. I tested both modules in every channel and found out this:

1.Both modules are OK
    2.Channel 0 (both slots) OK
    3.Channel 1 (both slots) regonized the module as 200Mhz DDR400
    4.Dual channel set up had errors every time somewhere after 3100,0MB in tests 5,6,7

Today I went to the shop where I bought my MOBO and exchanged it for a new one... Still no luck. But now I have even more severe memory problems along with the old ones. Now I get BSODs every windows startup and even linux live sessions die in errors.

So is there a real incompatibility between modules and MOBO as I know both components are OK. Or should I maybe boost DDRvoltage even more, because when running the 7-7-7-24 settings the error message I got from MOBO was "continuous short beebs" which accroding to manual stands for power failure... or it might have as well been the "system boot up OK" -beep repeated over and over again.

Oh and just in case, my PSU is Crossair 650W.. So in my mind power shortage just seems impossible.

In conclusion I don't anymore know what the exact question is, originally it was "Which settings would get my memory to run 'normally'?" but now if anyone knows anything to get my system working... Along with the timing settings for my memory (of course) would be absolutely great.

Thanks for your patience,

UzO

Update:

Now it seems I cannot install windows 7 anymore. I get the 0x80070570 error which is related to as a Vista/media problem. I don't know how windows installer actually works, but it seems that reading out of memory error occures during file copy process and results as "corrupted install file" problem.
    Last edited by UzO; 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: Update

When you set the timings, did you check command rate? is prob at 1 you need it at 2. If you still have problems.....

Try doing your install with 1 stick in slot 1 and format drive as part of install. Should work okay. After the install add second stick in slot 2 and give it a try. If any problems, go into BIOS and manually set the timings (including command rate.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Got windows up&runnin' but it wasn't easy. Firstly I got some BSODs and few times boot failed and gave 0xc0000225.. Something about device being inaccessible, which device I don't know. But then I set timings so manualy as possible and v?ila, now booted for several times without problems.

So now I'm runnin with these settings:

DRAM 800Mhz
      CL 9
      tRCD 9
      tRP 9
      tRAS 24
      tRC 33
      CR 2T (Which by the way I had set to 2T.. Nice point coz' for some reason MOBO desires 1T)
      Voltage 1.65V

The next step is to try tightening the timing to the 7-7-7-24 without the second stick and if that works add the second one. If someone could tell me all the timing settings that would be great. I don't trust my MOBO anymore.

Another thing worth mentioning might be that now that I run with only one stick MOBO reads (or at least tells me) different SPD settings.. Before with 2 sticks it always told me to use 11-11-11-39 but now it says 9-9-9-33, is that kind of behavior normal?

And finaly I would like your opinions about something my friend tought of, could all this be because of faulty processor? As these new AMDs include memory controller integrated. Is there a way to diagnose that?

Thanks again,

UzO
      Last edited by UzO; 10-23-2009, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Best timings should look like this:

DRAM 800Mhz
        CL 8
        tRCD 7
        tRP 7
        tRAS 24
        tRC 33
        CR 1T

The 11-11-11-39 timings are odd, 9-9-9-33 is more normal. Not sure why it changes, but that's why we suggest manually setting everything because some motherboards can be screwy.

It can be a faulty processor if you are unable to run at certain speeds or if you have stability issues, but if you do not with the settings above, everything should be fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS - F6, 9/16/09 ? They did some major rewrites on CPU support, it can be found here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...3010#anchor_os

AMD has had problems w/ their various CPUs, in fact you might want to check your temps, I've been working with another member who just picked up a 955 and it had problems with the RAM and was running hot....he called AMD and they offered an RMA on the spot, no real questions....nothing! And that's unusual, AMD normally wants to say it's the mobo or the PSU, so I was surprised they just said, let's do it.

So, like I said, keep and I on your temps, upgrade the BIOS if need be, and try the settings GSkill suggested (or possibly 8-8-8-24) and possibly Command Rate to 2T, then get back with us.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Alrighty then,

Firstly yes, I had already updated the BIOS.. just mentioning.

I set timings to

DRAM 800Mhz
            CL 8
            tRCD 7
            tRP 7
            tRAS 24
            tRC 33
            CR 1T

and system booted up OK but couldn't take virtually any load so I changed CR to 2T and now over 45mins with everest stress test and counting.

What I would like to know is wether I should try with 8-8-8-24 and CR 1T or seattle with these? What I mean is which is the "smallest step"? Changing the CR or what? Everest told that difference in latency between 1T and 2T is ~1ns so is there any point to sacrifice time and effort for a quarter of a nanosecond lower latency?

What comes to the CPU temperatures I don't think their out of bounds. Highest I've reached is 59C case open and 63C case closet. Idle temps hang around 43C.

Going to stress the system till tomorrow with different programs and if no complications comes up would you say problem solved and better memory performance cannot be achieved? Got 11.569 from wPrime 32MB and 369.415 from 1024MB after setting current timings which is almost a second better (32MB) than before.. Would like to know what kind of figures those i5's get, everywhere all I see is people braging with their i7's.

Now off to make an enormous electric bill.

Thanks again,
            UzO

Comment

1T/2T is a long running debate, w/ AMD processors you can at times run 1T, but I've never cared for the stability, especially for gamers, heavy video editing, simulation, etc....if you do go that route you'd want to think of maybe loosening the timings and maybe the tRFC and tRC.

You could try dropping to 7-7-7-24, , but in all seriousness, if you're stable now you might keep it as is and experiment as you have time (and write down all your current settings so you can always go back). Generally the differences you might get with the minute changes you won't physically 'see', they may show up on benchmarks or you might gain a bit of a FPS in gaming but...................is it worth your time?

Temps don't look bad, xouls always do a slight mod (i.e. additional or bigger input fan or a different CPU HS

Tman

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X