Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDR3 RAM ???? Help select G.Skill RAM

Hello folks,

I recently received a new PC and had issues with the RAM (and CyberPower, the builder). I tried to upgrade the original RAM that was defective. They sent some Kingston Hyper x RAM but it had a high voltae and Intel warned of it causing damage to the processor and voiding the warranty. I have since RMA'd the orignal RAM and am looking at purchasing some G.Skill RAM from Newegg.com. I could use some help please. Despite reading information on this stuff for the last week, I am still not feeling sure of what to get.

Here is the info to help with the selection.

Processor is an Intel Core i7 860 (2.8Ghz).

Mother board is an Asus P7P55D LE (yes LE version unfortunately)

Windows Vista 64 (Windows 7 64 bit on it's way)

I am looking to install 8GB of DDR3 RAM. One of my concerns is the email I received from Intel tech support warning me to ONLY USE RAM WITH VOLTAGE OF 1.5V or it will damsge the processor and void the warranty. This Tech Rep. may be off the deep end a little, but I am concerned about the longevity and stability of the processor/machine.

I have read plenty of places that 1.65V is ok to run on these i7 860. I am NOT looking to overclock or anything. I don't play too many games but do some serious heavy duty photography/imaging. I have selected a few choices of G.Skill RAM based on what I've read here but want to finalize a selection and hopefuly get the most bang for my buck. Although the price difference of all the RAM reaally isn't an issue after the initial purchase of the PC.

Here are my choices (I think). I am a bit concerned about the speed and bios behavior. Sounds like most people go with the 1600 vs . the 1333, but it also sounds like the Ansus motherboard down speeds the RAM to 1333 anyway. I am wondering if there is an advantage to the 1600 vs the 1333 if I am not overclocking or tinkering with the setttings much. I really don't know much about all this bios / latency stuff. I have been reading on it..so it's not foreign anymore. I also notice most posts here are for the "otehr" versions of the Ansus motherboard. They are the EVO, PRo but not ever the LE versionl Does 8GB of RAM cause problems with this MOBO ?

The selections.

Brand G.SKILL
    Series Ripjaws Series
    Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
    Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Cas Latency 7
    Timing 7-7-7-24
    Voltage 1.6V
    ECC No
    Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
    Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
    Heat Spreader Yes
    Features Specifically Designed to compatible with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 for Intel P55 motherboard..

Model
    Brand G.SKILL
    Series Ripjaws Series
    Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
    Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    Cas Latency 7
    Timing 7-7-7-21
    Voltage 1.5V
    ECC No
    Heat Spreader Yes
    Features Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform.

Model
    Brand G.SKILL
    Series Ripjaws Series
    Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    Cas Latency 9
    Timing 9-9-9-24
    Voltage 1.5V
    ECC No
    Heat Spreader Yes
    Features Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform

Model
    Brand G.SKILL
    Series Ripjaws Series
    Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
    Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    Tech Spec
    Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
    Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    Cas Latency 8
    Timing 8-8-8-21
    Voltage 1.5V
    ECC No
    Heat Spreader Yes
    Features Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform.

As mentioned above my main concerns are the voltage causing issues with the processor as Intel said use 1.5 ( I have read up to 1.65V is fine) ?? Also if the 1600 is worth the trouble over the 1333 if I'm not over clocking and taking into account the use of 4 sticks (4x2GB) for 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Thank you for any input and help. Greatly appreciated.

The bit confused one in Florida.

Cheers.

OW
    Last edited by Osprey Whisperer; 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM.

1.65V is fine for memory voltage, the default is 1.5V. This motherboard should be able to handle DDR3-1600 8GB, but we are not certain on the LE version.

For DDR3-1333, we would suggest the G.Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH. Otherwise for DDR3-1600, we would suggest the G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL. Although one has faster memory speed, the other has lower timings, so as far as performance they are fairly similar. If you want that extra performance, the G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH would be the one to go with. If you want to simply set and go, the DDR3-1333 would be the easiest/painfree bet. With 8GB, it should be well enough for any semi-intensive processing.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 10-21-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input....... much appreciated.

Comment

Well I may have bit off more than I can understand (chew). I picked up 2 sets of the
        Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH sets . I had them in my shopping cart at newegg.com. I was getting ready to checkout and decided to double check one more time that I had the correct model (I had several in my cart for comparison). When I returned to the shopping cart the price jumped $30 for the pair ($15@). I couldn't believe it.

I contacted Newegg with live help and to their credit they honored the previous price I had entered into my shopping cart.

anyway these sticks should be here soon and I've been reading all that I can on this forum. As I figured, I'm a bit confused as to setting timings/latency, voltage, etc. etc. I guess the major issue for me is that I don't see anyone else using the Asus P7P55D LE version MoBo. I'm not sure if the settings are identical to the other variations of this board or not (ie EVO, PRO etc.). I am assuming I need to enter the settings manually as they will default to the 1333 9-9-9 -xx and voltage of 1.5V.

Any help on how to get into the correct controls in this bios would be a help. (still trying to find this info online/asus). The setting figures would also be a help.

I think I may have gotten in over my head but thought the higher end RAM would be a better way to go as the price was not much more than the other sticks. Figured if I did ever want to get into overclocking I would have the correct RAM to really have fun. If not....I spent an extra $10 than I needed to.

Thanks in advance for any input/help.

Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.8ghz

Window 7 64 bit

Ansus P7P55D LE MoBo
        Last edited by Osprey Whisperer; 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

When you get the sticks, boot the system as is, go into BIOS and set BIOS to defaults, turn off, remove old RAM, load 2 sticks only, in slots 1,3 (black slots) and boot, system should pick up on the timings, but maybe not on the speed. Boot into BIOS and input the base timings manually 7-7-7-24, RAM voltage 1.6, and Command Rate at 2T or 2N depending on the input mode available. Then reboot if all is well, add the other two sticks. You may have to fine tune some of the other settings, so if any problems get back to us.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman. Will give that a whirl.

Comment

Almost forgot you'll prob need to raise the tRFC w/ 8GB, depending on how the mobo sets it you'll want about 84 or if in 'ns' prob about 195(.5)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Simply use the BIOS settings in the P7P55D guide, they are the same, should have no issues with this motherboard.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks folks. I appreciate the help. Hope to get the RAM soon and will give a yell if I have trouble.

Regards

Mike

Comment

Not to loud please, noise carries over the ethernet rather well..........LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
                      Not to loud please, noise carries over the ethernet rather well..........LOL
                      What were you smoking?

Comment

No screams, hope all is/has gone well

Tman

Comment

Unfortunately the RAM won't arrive from Newegg until Tuesday. Windows 7 upgrade should also arrive early next week as well. I can't wait. It's been a few weeks since I received my new PC ..and it's still not running. Grrrrrrr. Won't ever use Cyberpower again. What an outfit. Not sure who makes a computer without issues. Still not wanting to build my own...but probably will next time as this didn't go so smoothly. Figured since purchasing all the components would run a couple hundred more...why bother ? I got it built for less than the parts. Go figure. Guess I'm paying for it now. LOL. Hopefully the RAM will work smoothly and the BSODs will vanish?

Thanks again for all the help. Will let you now how things go and if I need some more help I will whisper.

Comment

We'll be here..

Tman

Comment

I received the RAM a few days ago and installed it. I also installed Windows 7 64bit. I did not change the timings on the RAM yet. They are running at the default 1333 at 9T. Things are stable and have had no further blue screen issues as I was having with the original RAM. (returned it).

I thought this would be easier than it is. I seem to be confused with all the info/settings in the Bios. unfortunately all the videos I've watched on youtube do not look anything like the bios screens I get with my Asus P7P55D LE. I'm pretty sure I've found the right location/settings to chagne but there are so darn many and I'm not a very verbal learner (hence the video research).

I understand what I'm suppose todo but am getting confused by all the information in the bios. Sure would have been easier if the screens looked like the videos and operated in a similar manner.

Hate to bother anyone for a step by step proceedure for idiots but that might help (no guarantee) Any links to a video online anyone knows about using the Asus P55 board?

May just have to wait for one of my computer guru friends to visit this winter and let them walk me through this.

I do not find an advance chipset category or anything liek that. there is a " AItweaker" or and "advanced" category/listing in this bios. I think I found the appropriate information/settings in the "tweaker" part of the bios. There is dram voltage and timing categories. Just doesn't seem to match the termonolgy I've come across. grrrrrr.

some screen caps from another website:

EDIT: for some reason the images don't hot link. If you scroll down to the bios screen capture images, the AI tweaker pages are the 2nd and 3rd rows of double images (image 3-6) I think this is where i need to change the settings for theRAM ?

aitweaker cap

Thanks again for all your help.
                              Last edited by Osprey Whisperer; 10-30-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X