Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing memory

I am upgrading my computer
    I have chosen G Skill based on the reviews at Newegg.
    I need help choosing the right memory, and what are the correct bios setting?
    MotherBoard-Intel DP55WG
    Processor-Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield
    Window 7 64 bit
    I would like to put in 8GB 4x2GB
    This is a home/business computer
    Quicken
    Quickbooks
    Internet
    Office 2003
    Light gaming
    Photos
    Video

Thanks

Lots of options, a couple of things first, if I may, the Intel mobo is rated up to 1600 RAM, but may be a little tough to do w/8GB

You'll want the latest BOS, 3822, dated 9/25/09, and keep in mind there have been 4 releases in the last couple months, so they are still sorting things out. Can be found here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...p+Board+DP55WG

With that said, I'd suggest going with the 1600 speed anyway for a couple of reasons:

1. Even if you can't initially run at 1600 right now, (which you may), they should get the BIOS straightened out befoer long so it will run at 1600.

2. If you can't, you can take the 1600 sticks, set them up for 1333, tighten the timings and possibly have the RAM, at 1333, outperform the 1600 speed at it's base timings.

Since your board calls for Non-ECC RAM w/ a max of 1.6 volts at 1600 I'd suggest the RipJaws,
    F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, available at the Egg among others:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277

If you decide an straight 1333, then there's a bit more variety: F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL, F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM, F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH (All are RipJaw models and geared towards your mobos P55 chipset

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Why will it be tough to do w/8GB, should I get more or less?
      Should I go with a differant board?
      How do you tighten timing?

Thanks

Comment

That motherboard should not have any issues with DDR3-1333 with 8GB. We have not tested specifically with DDR3-1600 8GB, so I can not be certain. There are many motherboards out there for the P55 platform, it simply depends what type of performance you need and what you need your computer for.

To tighten timings, it simply means to set memory timings lower. You will want to look into the G.Skill F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH as that has the lowest timing thus the fastest of the DDR3-1333 speed.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

A> Intel hasn't ever really been known for high performance (but are definately working on it) mobos. Traditionally the options for OCing (increasing performance) have been limited and still are compared many other mobo manufacturers. Taking that into consideration, this particular mobo is rated to 1600 (it's one thing to be rated to a speed, meaning it will run RAM at that speed, running more than 1 or 2 GB of it though can be a whole different story. Additionally, anytime you see numerous BIOS updates over a relatively short period of time either means they rushed the mobo to market without serious testing or they are responding to new items coming to the shelf. In this case it's quite probably that they rushed it to market, and the most likely area of problems is RAM. Especially since as you may have noticed, many are having trouble w/ the higher speed DDR3 RAM, especially in 8-12GB amounts.

B> Board choice is a personal matter, when asked though, I normally suggest either ASUS or Gigabyte for most any type system.

C> As GSkill Tech said, tightening the timings is reducing the ratings, thus making things operate faster (the opposite - loosening - quite often happens when using multiple sticks of RAM but not being able to run it at advertised speeds with the advertised timings, so as an example if you were to buy 1600 RAM and wanted to run at 1600, but are having trouble at the stated ratings of say 8-8-8-24, you might have to lososen the timings to 9-9-9-27 to get *GB to run at the rated speed of 1600.

I, and many others, prefer to buy higher rated speed, say 1600, and run at 1333 with tighter timings to a point, at 1333, it could possibly outperform the same RAM at 1600.

Comment

Working...
          X