8GB Memory Recommendations for ASUS P7P55D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB Memory Recommendations for ASUS P7P55D

Looking to put a system together with 8GB of RAM (2GB sticks X 4), ASUS P7P55D, i7 860. I would like to know what frequencies and latencies will I have better luck with when using 4 sticks? ie. 1333, 1600, tight, lose timings, what will I have better luck getting to POST and running at stock with 4 sticks. Was looking at; F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM, F3-10666CL7D, F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL, F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH. Not sure if any of these would work using 4 sticks. I see that G.Skill only guarantees 2 Dimms dual channel operation will reach stock specification. Any help would be great.

F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH then F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL. Should have no issues with either. We work very closely with ASUS and have tested on this board without any issues. DDR3-1600 is a good speed, DDR3-1333 is too slow for this setup. =) You will definitely enjoy your computer.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

First off thanks for the quick reply.

Nice, DDR3 1600 is the way to go. Using 2 of the F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH kits do you believe with 4 sticks I will be able to get the timings of 7-7-7-24? If not should I save a little bit of cash and pick up DDR3 1600 kit with more relaxed timings?

Comment

Should not be an issue with CL7 timings, if you want to save money, go ahead and get the CL9. It's not like you will see a dramatic difference between the two, only in benchmarking and gaming situations will you see a difference if compared side by side.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I'm making the same configuration.
          F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH x2 for 8gig
          ASUS P7P55D, i7 860

It is currently in my shopping cart at NewEgg, but I see so many people with RAM issues that I'm a bit intimidated about hitting the 'checkout' button. I don't think the ASUS Mobo will get it right at first; so since you are so familiar with this manufacturer, can you give me the recommended Bios settings?

Also, I've been thinking the EVGA Mobo might be a better pick. I don't seem to find as many people with ram issues. (EVGA P55 LE 123-LF-E653-KR). I'm only considering the ASUS because of a combo deal, but the EVGA seems good too.

Thanks.

Comment

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1874

People have RAM issues because they don't know how to configure performance, or sometimes even install it. We used the DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2000 sets and had absolutely no issues with 8GB. In fact, the 2000's were able to oc to 2100 with 8GB. So you should not have any issues at all. Fantastic motherboard by ASUS.

Thank you
            GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for your vote of confidence for this configuration. Can I assume that when I put this whole thing together for the first time and pop in this memory, that I will power it up and it will be correctly set right out of the box?

This is what I am hoping, but should it not auto configure, do you know the correct settings; aside from 7-7-7-24?

Comment

It will not be correctly set because the maximum standard default on all motherboards is still DDR3-1333, so anything above that always has to be manually configured. What you can do is use the XMP Profile. Or simply enter the changes below and everything should be runnning smoothly.

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
                CPU Ratio Setting - 21.0
                BCLK Frequency - 133
                DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1596MHz

DRAM Voltage - 1.60V

DRAM Timing Control (submenu)
                CAS Latency - 7
                RAS to CAS Delay - 7
                RAS PRE Time - 7
                RAS ACT Time - 24

DRAM Timing Mode - 2N
                All others can be AUTO

Keep me posted on the results, if you have any issues, please feel free to let me know as well.

Comment

Thanks. I really appreciate your pre-sales support!

One more question. I'm planning on stuffing all DIMMs with 2GByte sticks for a total of 8gig. The Motherboard manual seems to indicate that XMP mode works only with 1 DIMM per channel. I know others are installing 8gig but I don't know if they are using XMP mode. If not, how do you anticipate the timings might change...if they do?

Thanks again.

Comment

The manual settings I gave you would work if XMP does not. =)

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I picked the ASUS P7P55D mobo, with i7 860 processor and ended up going with two kits of the F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM. 8GB of ram, 4 sticks. Had to put the timings in manually to get to post at 1600 (default "auto" only detected them at 1333).

Adjusting timings to:

DRAM Voltage - 1.60V

DRAM Timing Control (submenu)
                      CAS Latency - 8
                      RAS to CAS Delay - 8
                      RAS PRE Time - 8
                      RAS ACT Time - 24

Ran memtest86+ for over 24hrs no errors. Excellent product, no complaints, everything is working out great. Thanks for all the help with the selecting the memory. The tech support in these forums has been fantastic. I will defiantly be buying more G.Skill memory in the future. Going to try and OC and see how fast I can get the 8GB of ram to run.

Comment

Working...
                      X