Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH stock settings?

As requested, my key system specs:

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D (not LE or PRO or EVO or anything on the end; just the base model)
    Processor: Intel Core i7-860 (2.8 GHz Lynnfield at stock speed)
    Memory: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
    While that probably tells you the memory, in case there's any question, here's exactly what I bought:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231279

Anyway, when I plugged the memory into the motherboard, the motherboard put it at what I presume are conservative timings just to make sure it would run, even if slowly. The BIOS wouldn't tell me the frequency, but it did set the main memory timings to 9-9-9-24, rather than the rated 7-7-7-24. It also set the voltage to 1.6 V, rather than the rated 1.65 V. All of these were as a result of "auto" settings in the BIOS.

There's no point in buying fast memory and running it at slow speeds that could have been done with cheaper memory, so I'd like to get the memory running at the intended speeds. I set the memory to run at the stock timings and voltage and it works (well, sort of; it works in Express Gate, a stripped down variant of Linux that ships with Asus motherboards, but I haven't installed a "real" OS yet as I'm waiting for Windows 7). The motherboard lists a zillion other memory timings, though, also set to "auto". If it didn't pick the right stock timings for CAS latency, it probably isn't going to happen to know them for more obscure timings, but I can't find what the stock timings are for everything other than what I've already listed.

As such, I was hoping that someone here could list the stock timings. Or are those derived from the main ones or somehow irrelevant, so that it would be better to just leave them on auto? The BIOS breaks the memory timings into three sections, and currently has them running at:

7-7-7-24-5-88-17-8-24
    1N-41-42
    8-8-18-8-8-8-7-6-4-7-7-4

The first four are the ones I set manually, and the rest are a result of letting the motherboard pick automatically. I could go list the names of all of them if necessary, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

Also, I was planning on staying with 4 GB of memory until that isn't enough at some point perhaps two or three years from now (i.e., as soon as some program starts paging to the hard drive), and then adding more. It's likely that that G.skill will have discontinued the particular kit I have by then, or at least released something else that is better value for the money. Is it pretty safe to get memory (a paired kit, presumably 2 x 2 GB, or maybe 2 x 4 GB will be cheap by then) that is rated as being at least as fast as what I have now (i.e., at least 1600 MHz, timings at most 7-7-7-24, and voltage at most 1.65 V) and stick it in the other memory slots to run at the timings for the memory I have now?

That's basically what I've done in the past, and while it has always brought a marked performance boost (even relatively slow memory is much faster than paging to a rotating platter hard drive with about 100,000 times the latency) for programs that needed more memory than I previously had, I've never known whether that meant that the memory wasn't really going as fast as it should, in part because I had no idea what the stock timings on the memory I already had were.

Try these settings:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting - 18.0 for 2.80GHz
    BCLK Frequency - 160
    DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600MHz

Fixed Voltage - 1.30V
    IMC Voltage - 1.20V
    DRAM Voltage - 1.65V
    CPU PLL Voltage - 1.90V

DRAM Timing Control (submenu)
    CAS Latency - 7
    RAS to CAS Delay - 7